Thursday, February 18, 2021

February 15 – “To remember Patti”

I’ll start off by acknowledging the obvious.  Yes.  It is cold.  Really cold.  It does cause one to have a certain degree of sluggishness.  But today there is another factor to my difficulty getting into the swing of things.  This one is more on a personal and emotional note.  We got word this weekend that a really good friend from Arlington had a major stroke.  The outlook was pretty grim from the start.  Then last night we got word that she is on total life support.  The family is gathered around her for the day today, and the plan is for life support to be removed tomorrow. 

 

But I wanted to talk a little to myself this morning.  To remember just a few things about Patti that are special to me and Chris. 

To remember Patti is also to remember Blair.  He was the first dentist I ever had that didn’t hurt.  Major milestone there for me.  Patti made fun of me often for claiming that trophy for her husband, but he earned it.  I’m pretty sure she was more than a little bit proud of him, too.  And speaking of proud, she was really proud of her kids and the amazing people they have become.  Never hesitated to talk about them. 

Patti was principal of the elementary school where Kel and Josh went when we lived in Mansfield.  I remember one time near Halloween when I brought the boys to school on my way to work.  I went inside with them and found a line of parents at the front desk, all obviously agitated and talking at once.  Seems a rumor was flying around that someone was targeting children for Halloween abduction.  Patti saw me and put me to work calming people down and reassuring them.  Not that Patti gave me any choice.  I called in late to work that day.

Blair and Patti will always be remembered by a small group of evacuees from our Island home when the monster storm Hurricane Ike was bearing down upon us.  They were among a group of folks who saw fit to open their homes to our ragtag bunch … and our pets (even a flying squirrel).  Ever since then, whenever a hurricane is in the Gulf, we have received a text from Patti, checking on us and offering a place to stay. 

Patti was one of those folks you could designate “real friend.”  I mean, how often do you have such an effect on people that they want to move in next door … every place you go (Rick and Rebecca)? 

Patti had a distinctive way of smiling with her chin down and her head pulled back and that ever-accompanying laugh that put you at ease and most often elicited at least a rumble in your own chuckle center. 

We shared another special connection with Patti.  We went to the same church, where I was minister of education, and it seemed like she was always on the personnel committee.  Great place for her to serve, too.  She had a knack for understanding the kinds of things ministers go through in their personal lives.  But it didn’t stop at just understanding for Patti.  She did her best to follow through with compassion and practical actions to meet needs as they arose. 

And as a final act of her compassion, I understand her organs will be donated to help others.  She just doesn’t stop giving.

We love you, Patti.

 

2 Corinthians 5:1 says, “For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands.”

 

Father, would you welcome Patti into your presence and into that eternal house you have for her?  Walk with Blair and the kids and the friends they all have who are grieving now.  Bless us with reminders of your presence.  Amen.

No comments: