Friday, February 12, 2021

February 12 – “Did I mention it was heavy?”

I took a two mile hike in the cold yesterday just before the rain started back up.  I know.  Makes me sound like I’m awesomely inspired and totally dedicated to the whole walking experience.  I guess I kind of am.  Except today the high is 46 and the low is 41.  And it’s raining.  And the wind chill is 32.  I don’t know about this.  Chris stayed home and cleaned house for home group.  I think she might have had the better idea on this one.

 

I bit the bullet and bought a new battery for the truck.  Seems they only have either a one year or three year warranty nowadays.  Not much of a trade-in value beyond the core charge being waived.  The actual change-out was easy.  I did have to use some extra oomph to get one bolt loosened, but not too bad.  The problem came when I got to the store.  I hauled the core inside (did I mention that it was heavy?).  I sought out a clerk to assist me, and then realized that I didn’t have a mask on.  I apologized, but he went right over to the counter and handed me a brand new one.  Awesome. 

 

Next we went over to the rack of batteries to look for one that would work in the truck.  Only had two choices.  One year warranty or three year warranty.  No mention of cranking amps or anything.  I selected the one with higher cranking amps and, as it turned out, a three year warranty to boot.  Good for me.  The clerk said, “Bring it over to the counter.”  Great.  It was heavy, too.  I reached over to pick it up, and he added, “The new ones don’t have a handle any more.”  Great.  Thanks.  I managed to bully it to the counter next to the old one and reached for my wallet.  And I didn’t have that, either.  Once again I apologized and assured him I would be right back.  He assumed it was in the car.  Nope.  It was on the shelf next to my desk at home … right where I left it.  I dashed back to the house (fortunately we live just a few blocks away), grabbed the offending piece of equipment, and made the return trip.  As I suspected, both batteries were right where I left them.  I didn’t really expect this particular clerk to move hem anywhere.  I finally got the purchase done, though.  Carried it out to the car (no carts in the automotive section.  Did I mention it was heavy?).  Battery is installed and working.  Just in time, too.  Did I mention that it’s cold around here?

 

Isaiah 40:31 says, “but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”

 

Father, once again, will you watch over the docs working on Tom this morning.  Thank you for the peace you gifted him and Jean with.  Amen.

No comments: