Sunday, February 14, 2021

February 14 – “I hear you … sort of”

Oh, I have a new medical story.  About me this time.  I made an appointment to see an audiologist and an ENT doctor.  Reason?  I need to get some new hearing aids.  The ones I have are six plus years old.  Sounds easy peasy, right?  Actual result in the real world?  Two different appointments. 

1.      Hearing test with the audiologist.  Required for new hearing aids.  Good.  I haven’t had one of those in … a long time.

2.      ENT appointment for sneezing, snoring, and that jaw ache weirdness.  (That middle one was a requirement of a certain young lady I live with).

 

Loved the audiologist.  She was really knowledgeable.  And kind.  She nodded whenever I got one of the beeps right.  I never saw an ENT doctor, though.  All were busy.  So my appointment was with a physician’s assistant.  Getting kind of used to those types.  One thing I have learned about PA’s.  They know a lot of stuff and they aren’t afraid to tell you about it.  She did a whole semester’s worth of teaching about hearing loss and TMJ and why people sneeze and snoring.  It was dizzying.  Bottom line for me … “You have hearing loss.  Hearing aids will help.  Make another appointment to see the person who shows you the hearing aids ... But …”

 

Here it comes.  “The hearing loss you have is weird.”  Why am I not surprised?  Apparently, the wave of loss between the two ears is forming a strange shape when they transfer it to paper.  It could be caused by several things, from a missed beep in the test to a tumor of some kind on that particular nerve.  Now I’m scheduled to do a return engagement in a month to see if I’m still weird.  Hmm.  Not planning to change bodies or anything.

 

She prescribed a nose drop to try to stop the sneezing.  Not real excited about that one.  She agreed with the TMJ diagnosis by the PA at the other doctor’s office (Hey, those PA’s have to stick together, right?).  I’m supposed to keep doing what they said.  She said the next course of action for the snoring is one of those sleep tests.  Not happening anytime soon.  I’ll try the nosedrops.  I’ll even come back in a month for the retest.  Snoring can wait (If I really do snore.  Still not convinced it’s me Chris is hearing). 

 

Romans 12:12 says, “Be joyful; in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.”

 

Father, please be with us at church this morning.  Keep everybody warm.  Amen.

No comments: