Saturday, February 20, 2021

February 20 – “Cold again … BUT …”

I woke up this morning and realized that it was pretty cold again.  39 degrees outside.  But this time … this time I had an answer.  This time I was prepared.  This time I would not be overwhelmed by the outrageous cold that had made me miserable for the last week.  Oh, no.  Not this time.  I slowly made my out from beneath the covers.  As quietly as I could, I crept across the bedroom into the hall.  Looking both ways to insure no personal presence of the evil Winter Storm Megan … I turned up the heater.  Hah!  It worked.  For, you see … we now have power.  The bliss of electricity has returned to the Vaughan household.  And with it … warmth.  Aaahh.

 

And on a side note … we have water as well.  We are still under a boil water notice, however.  Chris has been boiling water, but it has a residue at the bottom of the pan.  I’m pretty sure that’s just the usual sand and much and stuff that we have been systematically ingesting for the last 26 years, but Chris will have no part in it.  Won’t even give it to Freddy.  Fortunately, however, we got word that the city had set up a water distribution station at the airport by our house.  All were welcome to drive through and pick up a case or two of water that had been delivered via monstrous air bus.  My first attempt to get some resulted in an about face when I saw the line.  Cars were backed up clear to the entrance to our neighborhood.  Several hours later, though, I saw a post in our neighborhood news that the lines were gone and there was still water available.  So we took off.  We also told the Geran’s and called Nathan and April as well.  As it turned out, we were able to get a case for our next door neighbor.  Her daughter had just returned her from a brief evacuation to Texas City.  Hopefully we are all set water-wise.  Now we wait for the all-clear from the microscopic critter testing that is being done on the water supply to declare us boil-free.  Once that occurs we are done with Winter Storm Megan.  Of course there is still the matter of folks who need plumbers and home repairs.  I still don’t know for sure what all we might need at the church, but thanks to some amazing Seasiders, a worse crisis was averted.  As of this writing we are still a go for church tomorrow and even for Third Sunday dinner on the grounds.  Hey, I think we all need some fellowship after what we have just been through.  And we do have bottled water at the church. 

 

Psalms 136:1 says, “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good.  His love endures forever.”

 

Father, please make it easy for the plumbers and do-it-yourself-ers to get their homes back up and running.  And an “all-clear” on the water would be great as well.  Amen. 

No comments: