Tuesday, September 22, 2020

September 22 – “Another Tropical Storm Adventure”

Yesterday was another Tropical Storm Adventure around here.  To start the day I had an appointment to have my hearing aids and ears checked out.  Bright and early 9 a.m.  The weather wasn’t all that bad.  As I told numerous friends who called or texted to check on us … intermittent heavy rain bands, high winds, and high tides.  There had been some street flooding, especially in areas that usually flood with extra-high tides anyway.  But again, not so bad.  I got ready and made my way over to the hearing aid place. 

 

I arrived about five minutes before my nine o’clock appointment.  The parking lot was deserted.  Completely empty.  I pulled up to the office, grabbed my trusty mask, and headed inside before the next wave of rain hit.  And … the door was locked.  Not a single light was on, save the little blinking one from the security camera inside.  Interesting.  I returned to the car and waited.  No tech.  I called Chris and chatted.  No receptionist.  One SUV pulled up and parked nearby, but he didn’t even exit his car.  No phone call to cancel.  Speaking of phone calls, they even called me Friday to confirm the appointment.  Hmm.

 

I finally gave up and went back home.  I had made some surprise plans for Chris.  I talked her into getting into the car and taking a drive.  Yep.  Simple drive in the rain.  Actually, I wanted her to see the newest tourist site for the city.  It had just been installed the night before.  A fishing pier.  Sounds kind of anti-climactic, doesn’t it?  Well, the exciting part was that it was actually a piece of the 61st Street fishing pier that had broken loose in the storm and floated like a raft trying to escape Gilligan’s Island until being washed ashore not all that far from its origin place.  Now it sits proudly in the sand at the light at Seawall and Central City Boulevard.  Its sole purpose in life now?  Provide an opportunity for some of the funniest Tropical Storm memes on FaceBook.

 

Oh, and while we were out, we drove back by the hearing aid place.  Still shut down tighter than a drum.  Another customer drove up as I returned to the car.  Nope.  Nobody’s at home.  Oh, well.  I guess the storm scared them off.  I can’t wait for them to call to reschedule, though.  I want to hear their explanation …

 

Mark 11:24 says, “Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.”

 

Father, please keep your hand of protection handy for the Gulf Coast.  Amen.

No comments: