Sunday, September 13, 2020

September 13 – “THE MRI”

 Well, I was up well before the crack of dawn yesterday.  Thank you, Prednisone.  I did get a lot of computer work done, though.  Even went over the teaching for today.  I did my back exercises.  Carefully.  And then I just tried to chill until time to leave for … THE MRI.

 

We left in plenty of time to stop by the Chick Fil A in Texas City where Jachin is working.  Chris resisted the temptation to give her name as “Jachin’s Nana.”  He was the one to deliver the food to us, though.  And she did get in an “I love you” as we pulled away.  He said it back, then hurriedly turned to his co-workers and explained that she was his Grandma.  Always happy to do what we can to keep alive certain stereotypical images. 

 

We ate our sandwiches in the parking lot, then headed to the new UTMB facility in Clear Lake for the test.  And that was very impressive, by the way.  We were greeted at the door and given a sticker – before I even had the test.  Exciting.  Mine honored the character trait I apparently displayed just by walking through the door: “Patient.”  And Chris’ gift of nurturing was recognized with a sticker of her own: “Visitor.”  Hey, It was the superhero I hoped for, but I wore it proudly in the center of my chest.

 

The technician who did the test was really nice and seemed to really know her stuff.  Two key things.  First, the machine itself was a lot bigger that any I have ever had an MRI in before, and I have had a few.  I had room to rest my arms on the table beside me, and there was a good six or eight inches between me and the ceiling.  And that’s with the really comfortable pillow set at an angle so I didn’t have to lie flat.  That makes it a lot easier on people who are really claustrophobic (like Chris).  I generally try to take a quick nap, so it doesn’t usually bother me.  Oh, and the tech surprised with a wonderful gift.  I didn’t have to wear a mask inside the machine.  All that was number one.  Secondly, the whole test was over in a matter of ten minutes.  Quickest MRI I have ever had done.  Now I’m just waiting for a call from my doc to see what it showed and what we do next. 

 

The LaMarque Vaughan’s came over and the boys did our yard work for us.  They also brought dinner.  Kel grilled some chicken fajitas.  Then we had some waffle ice cream cones.  Blue Bell’s newest flavor.  Some kind of cake with sprinkles on top.  Interesting.

 

This time the mystery effect of the Prednisone took a slightly different turn.  Oh it still kept me awake.  I managed to sleep from 11 to 2:30.  Exactly 2:30.  Why?  This time it was because I was so hot (also a side effect).  I didn’t want to keep Chris awake, so I moved onto the couch.  I did a few more crossword puzzles, read some in a book, and yes, even scrolled through some FaceBook.  I finally dozed off again at 4:30, but was wide awake at 5:30.  Close enough.  I got up and started my preparations for church.  I just have one more night of the really large dose of this super drug before I can start tapering off.  Maybe I should start on the couch tonight …

 

1 Peter 2:9 says, “But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.”

 

Father, join with at church again today.  I sure missed being there last week.  Amen.

No comments: