Thursday, August 6, 2020

August 6 – “But why, ‘Ignoble’?”

Back to work.  Chris spent much of the morning in the front flower beds.  Me?  On the computer. 

 

About mid-morning I received a phone call.  It was Chris calling from the front yard.  I answered casually.  She replied, “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up.”  I was out the front door and standing at her side before she could say, “I’m kidding.”  Of course I had a hunch that was the case.  The laughing was an unassailable clue.  But I had to show her that I will respond to her appeals for assistance in a heartbeat. 

 

The actual reason for her call was to tell me that Cailyn had just phoned to say she was ready to come over.  Mom and Dad were both working.  I volunteered to do pickup duty so she could stay engulfed in her dirtiness.  In fact, when Cailyn got here, she dove right in and did some weeding herself.  And when the two of them came inside, Cailyn pitched right in and helped clean house as well.  And to top it all off, she made some cookies.  Snickerdoodles.  Yum.

 

I did get in on the Cailyn action after a while.  I helped her do some editing and put together the formatting for a book report she did.  Yep.  Book report.  Summer project homework for school.  Creative book reports.  I’m sure glad we never had to do homework over the summer.  Guess back then we just embraced our knuckleheadedness. 

 

I woke up today with an unusual thought on my mind.  Not so much a thought, actually.  It was more a … word.  That happens to me every so often.  Remnants of novels past, I suppose.  So the word?  “Ignoble.”  No idea where it came from.  I looked it up, though.  Dishonorable, shameful, despicable.  It’s a pretty great word.  Now to look for a way to use it in casual conversation today …

 

1 Thessalonians 4:7 says, “For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life.”

 

Father, please forgive my inevitable ignoble actions.  Amen.


No comments: