Saturday, August 15, 2020

August 15 – “The Birthday Bag”

I got an early start to my birthday morning.  I mowed the grass.  Trying to beat the heat, you know.  I even got to lop off some tree branches (With Chris approval, of course).  And that last oleander did a number on my back.  Must have twisted wrong when reaching for a back branch to chop off.  It settled into a dull ache.  Fortunately that was my last task for the day.  Oh, and the heat almost got Chris again.  She was outside talking to a neighbor when she “felt the black coming again.”  She made her way inside and cooled down without completely passing out though. 

 

Cailyn called me around ten.  She was just waking up.  She sang happy birthday to me.  She was pretty upset, too, when she found out that Nani made me mow the grass on my birthday.  She told me she was going to complain about that one.  That’s my girl.  Kel and the LaMarque Vaughan’s called.  They sang happy birthday as well on FaceTime.  Nathan called when he got to work.  He didn’t sing, but he did say happy birthday.  Josh didn’t sing either.  He called around 9:30 after he got his crew either in bed or watching a Star Wars movie.  Great to hear from everybody.

 

When Chris woke up and joined me in the office, she handed me a gift bag covered with baseballs.  Very cute presentation.  Inside the bag was a new jigsaw puzzle.  I had just been pining that we had done all of the ones we have.  I guess she listens.  When we sat down to lunch the same bag appeared.  This time it contained … another puzzle.  Awesome.  And at supper, there was the Birthday Bag yet again.  This time it had in it one of those masks that fits around your neck and you pull it up when you need to.  She told me it wasn’t approved for Covid protection.  I wondered what the purpose was.  She explained that it was for when I went fishing.  But wait.  I don’t think fish can catch the Covid, can they? 

 

We started watching the Astros game together.  Late start: 8:10.  It was the premier return of Yordan Alvarez, last year’s run-away rookie of the year.  He didn’t disappoint.  Hit a three-run homerun in the first inning.  That was just part of the nine run outburst that put the game away early.  I guess the excitement was too much for Chris.  I woke her up in the third inning so she could go on to bed. 

 

When I finally went on to bed after the game, what should I find near my pillow, but the Birthday Bag.  Sure enough, inside was yet another gift.  Another puzzle.  That Bag is unbelievable.  Or could it possibly be the manipulator of said bag?  Either way, it turned out to be a very … “puzzling” kind of day.

 

Oh … I have tried to answer all the FaceBook birthday wishes with at least a “thanks.”  I’m pretty sure I missed some, so just in case … “Thanks!”

 

2 Timothy 2:1,3 says, “You, then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus … Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus.”

 

Father, thank you for this 67 year run.  It has been an adventure, that’s for sure.  And I have some ideas to run by you for the next 67 … Amen.

No comments: