Monday, August 17, 2020

August 17 – “Happy birthday, Chris!!”

Yep, I started right out with a bloggin’ birthday shout-out to my wife, didn’t I?  Pretty shameless.  Does that mean I’m good for the rests of the day?

 

We had another really good day at church yesterday.  More than fifty people gathered outside under the building in the shade to do some God-worshipping.  As usual, some wore masks, some didn’t.  Some were content with air high-fives, other were in full-on hug mode.  We learned in the teaching that to “greet” one another actually meant to “engulf one another within the arms.”  Sounds suspiciously like a hug to me.  I will be so glad when we can get back to just loving on each other without the concern of each other’s health.  But in the meantime, let’s keep on doing the virtual hugging and actual loving …

 

Before lunch we went inside where Dianne had prepared a fruit salad and Sam had made a cake.  We sang happy birthday to me and Chris and happy anniversary to the Matthew’s and Lami’s.  The cake was great, as usual, Sam.  And we received several birthday cards, a gift card to Shrimp n Stuff, and a new puzzle.  I think we might be set for a while in the puzzle department. 

 

Chris and I experienced a major blast from the past.  Some friends of ours that we have known for forty years or so surprised us and came to church at Seaside.  We even got to go to lunch with them and reminisce.  Janae told me at one point, “I haven’t heard you preach in four decades.  You’re good now.”  Hmm.  Meaning I was pretty pitiful back then, right?  It was fun reminiscing.

 

After lunch we stopped back by the church to take down and out away the parking signs.  Sam and Robert were still there, so we hung out and talked with them for a while.  Then it was back home to watch the Astros win on a walk-off home run by Kyle Tucker.  Nice conclusion to a great day.

 

Titus 2:11-13 says, “For the grace of God that brings salvation … teaches us … to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope – the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ.”

 

Father, thank you for old friends and current ones.  Bless Janae and Robert and Dan and Alicia with a relaxing few days.  Amen. 

No comments: