Tuesday, August 25, 2020

August 25 – “Preparations”

We started actual preparations for evacuation yesterday … just in case.  Chris cleaned house, of course, and then she washed every piece of clothing we owned.  Meanwhile, I did some computer work and other church-related stuff.  Once I got a handle on that particular Monday madness, I transferred my attention to the other Madness of storm preparation.

 

I was responsible for gathering all of our important papers into the small file cabinet.  Insurance documents, utility bills, medical records, and the like all made their way into the two cases.  I also gathered the items in my office that were destined to join us on the journey.  Chris used her time in between loads of laundry to gather together the quilting stuff she wants to take.  She also made a round or two through other room to see what else she might want to sneak into the car or truck.  Next we turn to those items that were already designated and remained in a state of readiness for transport all year.  Things like my baseball card collection and the old photo albums. 

 

After some supper – Chris made her fabulous shrimp gumbo – I joined Jim, Corey, and Bob at the church to board up the windows there.  Sam stopped by as well to offer some moral support.  I also got a phone call right after we finished up from Suzann offering to come help.  The four of us got the job done, though.  Well, as done as we could.  All the big windows in the worship center are covered.  A few of the smaller ones didn’t have a designated hunk of board, so we just left them open.  We didn’t board up the retreat center.  Too tired, I guess.  I’m really praying we get missed by the worst of this one. 

 

Last night we watched the Astros game.  Well, I watched it while Chris took a nap.  Yep.  A nap.  At 8 p.m.  She finally woke up in time to go to bed around 11:15.  The game ended not too long after that.  Astros won 11-4.  Lots of hitting.  Good stuff. 

 

Hebrews 7:27 says, “Unlike other high priests, [Jesus] does not need to offer sacrifices day after day, first for his own sins, and then for the sins of the people.  He sacrificed for their sins once for all when he offered himself.”

 

Father, thank you for the folks who helped with the boarding up at church, and for the others who expressed a desire to.  Bless them for that.  Guide our decisions today about what to do with this storm.  Amen.

No comments: