Friday, August 21, 2020

August 21 – “Reignited, so to speak”

Chris received a phone call yesterday morning.  Totally unexpected.  No, it wasn’t bad news … exactly.  Not that I would consider it especially good news, either.  The caller simply asked her a question.  “Would you like to come in to the dentist’s office for a cleaning?”  As out of the blue as that seems, it really was not.  See, Chris had an appointment scheduled back in February some time.  It got canceled … well, postponed  indefinitely.  If she could get there by 10:30 she was in.  Reignited, so to speak.  Chris took it.  She said there were quite a few odd new protocols, but hey, it’s a dentist’s office.  People have to open their mouths …

 

Meanwhile I received a call from the fire chief asking if I had heard about the tough call one of our crews had been on.  I appreciated him keeping me in the loop when that happens.  Makes it possible for me to check on the guys before they go on their four days off break.  It was actually the first call like that since Covid first hit.  I went by right away, but the crew was in one of those long required meetings.  I ended up talking with one of the drivers for a long time.  I did go back later in the day and met up with the ones who made the call.  They were all doing really well.  I am constantly amazed at their resiliency.  Very proud of those guys.

 

We did get to watch some Astros, and even a part of a Hallmark movie.  All in all, it was a pretty stable afternoon and evening.  I’ll take a few more like that. 

 

Hebrews 3:1 says, “Therefore, holy brothers, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus, the apostle and high priest whom we confess.”

 

Father, please be with people like dentists who have to work with open mouths every day.  Maybe give them a little added protection.  Amen.

No comments: