Thursday, May 28, 2020

May 28 – “Another narrow escape”


I went to Randall’s yesterday.  That’s where our pharmacy is.  The plan was to pick up Chris’ prescription.  That kind of morphed into a watermelon and some sub sandwiches, but that was just my inherent sense of impulse buying leaping to the surface.  The story, however, happens in the parking lot.

See, as I left the truck to head inside I dutifully pulled on the mask Chris made for me.  It’s one of the kind that you tie in the back.  I keep the bottom half tied all the time and just slip it over my head and around my neck.  This time I decided to tie the top as well.  great idea, huh?  Big time-saver, right?  OK, so I pulled the bottom strap over and around my neck as usual.  No problem.  And as I walked toward the store, I reached up to pull the second loop.  And the entire mask, of course, followed.  I got it about midway across my big head, and the mask itself was covering my entire face.  Remember, this occurred while I was walking across the parking lot.  After struggling for a very long second or two, I decided it might be prudent for me to stop until I had some idea where I was going.  Nice choice, as it happened.  I managed to untie the cord so I could readjust the mask, and as it fell beneath my chin I realized I was standing mere inches away from the bed of a very large pickup truck.  Fortunately the truck was parked, but one more step and I would have crashed into it, and avoiding the Corona would have been the least of my worries.  Whew.  Another narrow escape to add to my resume. 

Chris went back to the doctor yesterday to discuss the MRI results.  It didn’t take long at all.  I got a text from her that she had arrived and was waiting to check in.  And in just a few minutes she called to let me know what the guy said.  Ready for it?  “Obviously you have classic symptoms of an impingement.”  And what exactly did that mean?  He followed up with, “It is time for you to see our friends the spine doctors.  That would be the one we call neurosurgeons.  And I’m also going to put in a referral for anesthesia.  The neurosurgeon might want you to have a shot in the back as well.”  So we are to expect a call from the scheduling department to get set up with one of those big boys.  In the meantime he also ordered another round of physical therapy.  Here we go …

Psalms 55:22 says, “Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken.”

Father, please help Chris get through this back issue.  Maybe grease some wheels so she can get into the neurosurgeon quickly?  Amen.

No comments: