Thursday, May 21, 2020

May 21 – “Still she slept …”


Ah, quite the saga.  Tales of the Chris MRI, 2020 version.  The appointment was all set for 1 p.m.  We were to arrive at 12:15.  Well, she was to arrive.  I walked with her up to the new entry table set up by every building’s doors nowadays.  They issued her a mask and a “Patient” sticker and told her to continue on to the second floor.  I was referred to in the third person, however.  “He is not allowed in.  We have a ‘no visitors’ policy in place.”  Relegated to external environs, I sadly hung my head and walked away.  

A quick overview of the next three hours for me:
Read in my book.
Watch boats enter the harbor.
Stroll around the UTMB campus.
Look for the ghost on the Big Red building.  He apparently wasn’t home.
Read some more.
Chat with an old friend who used to live in our neighborhood about our days of baseball cards and bicycles.
Return to the car to turn on the air conditioner and cool off.
Read some more.  OK, you can perhaps understand that to mean “doze off occasionally.”
Intermittently answer texts and post updates – or lack thereof – on FaceBook.

Now, no MRI is supposed to take three hours, especially if the patient is extremely claustrophobic.  There were a few snafus involved, however, that extended the time.  They were apparently behind on their MRI’s to start with.  The guy ahead of her was scheduled for noon, and he hadn’t moved yet.  Chris kept me updated with texts.  My favorite was this one: “Watching a show about a gorilla with heart disease.”

They finally ushered her in around two.  After changing into their classy designer hospital garb, they asked her to sign the consent form.  She didn’t have her glasses, so she couldn’t even find the form, much less sign it.  So she had to return to her locker and get her glasses.  Forms all done, they asked the final question, “Are you claustrophobic?”  She answered “yes,” and the crisis began.  Nowhere on the chart was the conversation she had with whoever called her the day before.  You know, the one that took care of requesting sedation.  “Somebody dropped the ball on that one.”  Was the only comment made.  Yup. 

They eventually found the order and administered the medication (after a walking tour of the hospital clinic building to get to the proper medication administration room).  Oh, and when they took her blood pressure, it was really high.  She has never had high blood pressure, but then she was about to be placed into a coffin.  Pretty stressful stuff.  They said they would check it again after the test.  Guess that one was back down again, especially since she was sedated.  Then they had to wait a while for the drug to take effect.  It was around 3:15 when they finally began the procedure.  By that time Chris was feeling pretty good.  Other than being really cold.  She compared the sensation to the room we went into in Alaska that allowed you to experience how cold it is at 20 below zero.  She remembers taking some deep breaths when the table started moving, but after that … nothing but an occasional knocking sound in her ears.  Oh, and a sudden random sensation of heat, like she was placed on a heating pad or something. 

After the test was done, they helped her back to the locker room.  She texted me from there to give me a heads up that she would be out soon.  At least that’s what I surmised.  The text itself was kind of strange.  Something about “not that steady on me feet” and “Plus BP!”  Certainly gave me something to look forward to.

I got her into the car with a little difficulty, and we began the ride home.  She told me all about the procedure without ever opening her eyes.  Nathan texted, so I called him back to let him know we were on our way home.  She was alert enough to comment on several things he said (had the phone on speaker).  She even told me that she was starving and wanted something from Salsa’s.  Her wish is my command.  After I got her into the house and settled into the recliner (she was still quite “unsteady on her feet”) I read her the menu, called in the order, and went to pick it up. 

By the time I got home Chris was dead to the world.  I decided to let her sleep for a while since she hasn’t had a good night’s sleep in a long time.  I ate some of my Mexican food and watched TV.  Still she slept.  I got ready for bed.  Still she slept.  I turned out then lights.  Still she slept.  I left one light on in case she woke up and was disoriented.  Still she slept.  And this morning I woke up at 6 a.m.  Still she slept.  She finally stirred around 6:30 and asked what time it was.  She was confused by my “Good morning, sleepyhead” greeting.  She asked what time it was.  Three times.  Then she added, “In the morning?”  Yep, Chris.  You slept soundly for fourteen hours.  That, my friends, is a major new record. 

John 14:1 says, “Do not let your hearts be troubled.  You believe in God; believe also in me.”

Father, thank you for getting Chris through this test.  Now please grant the docs the wisdom they need to get at the cause of her problems so we can get it taken care of.  Amen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You did not need to go to Alaska to experience --20. Come to MinneSNOWta. Most winters we get that temperature several times.