Saturday, May 16, 2020

May 16 – “A Corona day in the life”


Our first full day Corona-visiting the Waco Vaughan's went really well.  Christi is still pretty strongly social distancing/quarantining, so we got to experience a typical Corona day in the life, so to speak.

I was honored to be chosen to play with the Princess of Play-Do (actually, she is the Princess of … everything around here).  I made a giant bunny (well, it was a giant compared to the little deer figures she was manipulating).  She asked me to make a “tinier bunny” after that one kind of melted into a blob, as is the fate of most play-do figures.  After tiny bunny I couldn’t leave the forest without a villain, so I formed an evil-looking snake.  That guy was easily recognized, but the Daddy Deer made quick work of the situation.  He biblically stomped on the snake’s head and obliterated it out of existence.  Great fun.

I manage a little bit of time with Caleb.  Sort of.  You might say I read a book with him.  He is a prolific reader, so I went and got the book I brought along and read alongside him as he devoured whatever he was reading on his eBook.  Does that count?

In the afternoon I had to work to earn our keep.  Josh and the older boys are clearing out brush and extraneous bamboo shoots from their back property.  They are saving the sturdiest of the bamboo to build Christi a plantar box.  I couldn’t just sit around and watch, now, could I?  I joined them in the task, and we got quite a bit cut and cleared.  And as a bonus, we even got to burn a lot of it.  Come on.  You just can’t beat a good fire.

And speaking of fire, last night was another tradition they have started.   Pizza and a movie and a sleepover in the family room.  We watched the movie I brought, Call of the Wild.  Josh and Christi went to pick up the pizza at their favorite local place.  And after the movie we even had time for smores at the fire pit on the patio.  One bonus episode of America’s Funniest Home Videos wound up the fun activities for the night.  The kids all gathered into their sleeping bags on the floor, and we had a prayer before lights out. 

Great Corona day in the life.  Great new traditions for quarantine-dom.  And now we venture into the epic rain that is falling …

Colossians 3:16 says, “Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.”

Father, thank you for our little incursion into the Waco Vaughan’s Tradition Friday.  It was fun.  A good break.  Amen.

No comments: