Sunday, April 8, 2018

April 8 – “Wait. On a Saturday?”


Boy, did I ever receive an unexpected phone call yesterday.  Almost didn’t answer it, because it was from a number that I didn’t recognize.  And it was Saturday.  Saturday, mind you.  But answer it I did.  And who should be on the other end but Social Security Guy.  Yep.  The guy who was on the receiving end of the computer malfunction while he tried to set up my account.  Mr. “It will probably be Wednesday before you hear from me.”  And guess what he had to say?  “I forgot that I was going to work today.  The computer let me do your account this morning.  Here’s the code you’ll need to get into your account.  I’ll send you a letter about it on Monday.”  Well, then.  I’m all signed up.  I guess.

We took a drive the other day to see the six wind-driven tall ships that are currently moored in Galveston awaiting a jaunt to somewhere in Florida.  Just a drive, mind you.  They were all out sailing, and thousands of people were lining the seawall to watch them.  Now we could have gone to the docks to go onboard yesterday, or even today I think, but we decided to forego the thousands of tourists who would be in line in front of us. 

Instead we decided to put down grub worm killer as well as Weed and Feed on our yard … in the rain.  Not the original plan, but it should soak in well, anyway.  We’re really not sure if there is much dormant grass under the all dead stuff in the front yard, though.  We may be buying some grass sod.  The back yard looks fine.  I had to avoid getting anything near the sunflower arbor back there.  Some of them have gotten taller than I am already, so it will soon be time to crawl back inside and trim off more branches.  The dogs are loving it as is, though. 

As it turned out, our decision to stay indoors rather than look at ships proved a good one when it started getting cold.  Cold.  In April.  (It is still cold.  50 degrees this morning when I woke up).  Chris selected photos for a scrapbook about our trip to Disneyworld two years ago.  She’s just a little behind.  I went over the sermon and then crashed watching some mindless TV until the Astros game came on.  Now that was an entertaining spectacle.  No offense of any kind from either team.  The Astros win it in the bottom of the tenth inning when Bregman hit an easy popup right in front of home plate with two outs.  The entire Padres infield followed its trajectory way up into the air.  And they watched as it hit the ground about five feet from home plate in between all of them.  Meanwhile Derek Fisher, who had been on second base, raced across home plate with the winning run (the only run of the game, in fact).  Never seen anything like that in a major league game.

Psalms 47:1 says, “Clap your hands, all you nations; shout to God with cries of joy.”

Father, thank you for that baseball reminder to always be ready for the unexpected.  Especially in your world. Amen.

No comments: