Sunday, April 29, 2018

April 29 – “Is it … where?”


Ah, Saturday a day of carnivals and birthdays and lucrative discoveries.  That’s right.  Yesterday we went to the annual Lassie League carnival and closing ceremonies.  It was the first since April joined the board of the league, and to tell you the truth, her hand was all over this event.  It was amazing.  Way better than the one we went to last year.  This year it looked like, from the time you walked up, that "someone" actually cared enough to spend some serious time in preparation and setup.  Huge letters posted in the grass announced “Galveston Lassie League 2018” and “Her-icanes” (The name of the all-star teams from Galveston).  That "someone," of course, would be April.  From an array of games to a bounce house to freshly made hamburgers and hot dogs (And nachos.  Cailyn had to have some nachos) to free popcorn and sno-cones (Thanks to a masterful marketing move by Nathan).  There was already talk of “Bigger and Better” for next year.  

Chris and I even stuck around to help with cleanup.  Great decision.  I was rewarded under the “What you find on the ground when cleaning up is yours to keep” clause of our non-contract.  I found an errant dollar bill flutter by.  Stuffed it into our Alaska cruise savings box when we got home.  

Oh … and I failed to mention that April did all of this … on her birthday.  Yep.  That’s how she celebrated.  What a Mom, huh?  We went by their house later on in the afternoon and took her the present we got.  It was a bush of some kind for their back yard.  What kind?  I don’t know.  I can’t tell a Geranium from a Geronimo.  It’s supposed to be pretty. 

I do have the Question of the Week to share as well.  I talked to the insurance company that handles the Medicare Advantage (Part C and D) policies for our region.  Got my questions answered, but in the process the guy asked me some questions as well.  His won the award, for sure.  I gave him our address, and he queried, “Is Galveston in Dallas County?” (Seems many years ago he lived in Dallas.  Guess he assumed everything was in Dallas County).  My reply: “Um … nope, that would be Galveston County.  Dallas is far, far away.  Galveston is an Island off the coast of Texas 50 miles from Houston.”  He replied: “Oh, an Island.  I knew it had something to do with water.”  Wait.  Water?  Where did that come from?  It got better, though.  He asked about the medications I take so he could give me an idea of how much my out of pocket expenses would be.  One is pretty expensive, so he started recommending others I could ask my doctor about.  Then he made this comment: “When I started selling drugs …”  I didn’t even hear the rest of his thought.  It was all I could do to keep the laughter as muted as possible.  Marketing recommendation; don’t admit to being a drug pusher.  Ever.

Psalms 56:10-11 says, “In God, whose word I praise, in the Lord, whose word I praise —  in God I trust; I will not be afraid.”

Father, be with that fellow who spends his days talking to people like me.  He’s earned a good one.  And take care of our sweet, hard-working April.  She’s definitely proven to be a keeper.  Amen.

No comments: