Tuesday, April 24, 2018

April 24 – “The Card”


I passed another huge milestone yesterday.  Guess what I received in the mail?  I am now a card-carrying member of none other than … Medicare.  Well, Medicare Parts A and B.  Actually, it’s not really good yet.  The start date is listed as August, my birth month.  Now that I have The Card I am supposed to look into hooking up with a Part C and D plan.  Not sure yet where to go for that.  Probably somewhere that identifies itself with random letters.  You know … like AARP.  Guess there will be some internet searching in my immediate future.

Last night we forayed into Texas for Jachin’s baseball game.  He was the starting pitcher.  I have to say I was impressed.  It was almost like watching the Astros with Dallas Keuchel pitching.  He struck out a few guys, but primarily induced a lot of ground balls.  The three balls hit into the outfield were soft popups.  He gave up three runs, but only one of them was earned.  Now for the bad news.  His defense was pretty bad.   The second baseman couldn’t field the ground balls hit to him.  And one the one he did manage to corral, the first baseman was nowhere near the bag, so he had no one to throw it to.  And I mentioned the popups?  Not a single one was caught.  They dropped within an arm’s reach of the fielder each time.  Now the infield did turn two double plays, so kudos to them on that.  And one of them ended the game.  After Jachin’s reliever took over, he moved to play first base.  And the very next inning he came up to bat second.  The first batter got a hit and quickly stole second and third.  Jachin then hit a resounding double over the left fielder’s head.  His teammates came through behind him, and they tied the score.  Later in the game they scratched across one other run, and after that double play came home with the win.  See?  Sounds a lot like the Astros when Keuchel is pitching.  Not so much like the Astros last night, though.  They lost 2-0.  Never could get a hit with runners in scoring position.  So … nice job Jachin.  Your old DadDad is proud of you.

Psalms 52:9 says, “I will praise you forever for what you have done; in your name I will hope, for your name is good.  I will praise you in the presence of your saints.”

Father, thank you for the chance the kiddos have to play baseball.  Help them to learn the right things from the sport.  Amen.

No comments: