Friday, April 13, 2018

April 13 – “Swole”


We completed our third day in a row of walking two miles around the neighborhood.  Chris is already in training for our cruise in two years.  I developed a bit of a problem after yesterday’s trek, however.  My knee swelled up (Swole?  Always wondered if that was a word.  Josh had a friend in college who had “Swole” for a nickname).  And accompanying the swole was the inevitable pain.  Oh, it didn’t come anywhere near my beyond-ten-level experience after one of my neck surgeries, but it was incredibly annoying and somewhat debilitating, nonetheless.  I put a heat pack on it for a while before home group, and that eased it up some, but I’m afraid the treatment plan is rest and anti-inflammatories for a while.  Sorry, Chris.  I won’t be joining you today.  But remember, we learned about the Sabbath rest at home group last night.  Check me off in that box for today, OK?

Speaking of today, I woke up at 5:30.  Not so unusual, but I managed to drift back to sleep.  Honestly, I didn’t want to test out my knee just yet.  And when I finally did drag my aching lower appendage from its place of rest, the clock read 7 a.m.  I think that borders on a new record.  I barely got up and into my slippers before Chris was awake as well.  And the sun was up to greet her (That’s one of her demands about getting out of bed.  She requires sunlight.  That might be a problem when we go on that cruise.  We have an interior cabin.  On the lowest deck possible.  That will do wonders for her claustrophobia as well).  It is always so disconcerting to me to get up so late.  I even forgot to feed the dogs.  Chris took care of that for me, though. 

Speaking of disconcerting, we didn’t have any mail delivered yesterday.  None at all on our whole street.  Maybe the whole neighborhood.  Oh, it’s happened before, and we understand the frustrations of the carriers now that we have one in the family.  So this morning when I went out to get the newspaper, I put the bills out that didn’t get picked up yesterday.  Good thing, too.  I was hard at work at the computer around 7:40 when I looked up and realized that the bills were gone and we had mail in the box.  Amazing.  The funny thing is, we may actually have a second delivery later on in the day.  Interesting approach to effective use of resources, wouldn’t you say?

Exodus 34:21 says, “You shall work six days, but on the seventh day you shall rest”

Father, thank you for that idea of yours about resting.  Thank you for gifting me with an amazing helpmeet who thinks nothing of taking up my slack when I drop the ball.  And please give me your wisdom to figure out the most effective use of the resources you have given us.  Amen.

No comments: