Monday, April 16, 2018

April 16 – “A short cut”


Our jaunt towards Waco began after dinner on the grounds at church yesterday.  But strangely enough, on our way there, we somehow decided to take a little short cut.  And oh, the strange and wonderful sights we did see.

First among them was the car with the huge bunch of bananas on the roof (Is that what you call more than one banana?  Or is there some special designation?).  I mean these bananas were the kind that King Kong could peel and eat one at a time.  And the car was peppered with paraphernalia of all kinds.  Stuffed bunny rabbits.  A water cooler.  A Route 66 road sign.  A little fat Buddha figure.  Stickers galore.  I told Chris I wanted to decorate our car in a similar fashion.  She said … umm … “No.” 

She did get to see some bluebonnets, the whole purpose of this particular short cut.  Not fields and fields of them, though.  At least not yet.  We’re not in Waco yet. 

My second favorite sight of the trip was one I didn’t get a picture of.  It was one of those small airplanes that only holds one or two people.  It was set up as if it was in the process of crashing headfirst into the ground right by the side of the road.  “Why hasn’t the accident been cleaned up?” you might ask.  It was no accident.  It was an advertisement.  And that’s what suddenly turned it into a favorite of the journey.  See, it was advertising … a sky diving experience.  Not exactly the best encouragement for potential customers on the cusp of decision about whether to jump from a perfectly good airplane.

We settled on a hotel in none other than … San Marcos.  It was convenient to an IHOP, and we had a gift card from there (Thank you very much, Seaside).  After supper we relaxed in the room.  Chris read a book (Harry Potter again) and I watched the Astros game.  They were playing on ESPN, so it was a national feed.  They lost in extra innings again.  They are just not hitting. 

I woke up around 3:30 a.m.  I couldn’t get back to sleep.  It takes a few days for me to actually get unwound when we are on the road.  So I listened to Chris breathe.  Great sound … life. 

I did finally doze off again, because I had a dream.  My cousin Amy was working with Seaside’s ex-worship leader Wes as … a juggler/twirler.  They had a missed communication on stage and one of their objects crashed into them.  They left the stage bloodied, but they were both fine.  Seems Amy started juggling before Wes wanted her to.  Oh, she was juggling, among other things, a yield sign.  Ouch.

Psalms 48:14 says, “For this God is our God for ever and ever; he will be our guide even to the end.”

Father, thank you for the sweet sounds of breathing from the one I love.  Keep ‘em coming.  Amen.

No comments: