Thursday, April 12, 2018

April 12 – “Wait … now?”


Social security called me the other day.  I almost didn’t answer, but then I remembered that the guy at the office where I sort of signed up said they operated out of Birmingham, Alabama.  That was what came up on caller ID.  Taking a chance, I went ahead and answered. 

The voice on the other end sounded almost kind.  O, sure, there was the inevitable businesslike tone to it. But I think the lady was actually nice at heart.  She was calling to let me know that my benefits had been approved.   Thank you very much.  And then she wanted to let me know that if I wanted to go ahead and start receiving benefits now, I could do that.  The difference between now and August wasn’t all that much.  I told them sure.  Then she really caught me of guard.  She wanted to talk to Chris to see if she wanted in, too.  Chris politely refused for the time being.  We haven’t even talked about her options yet.  So, for me … Medicare still starts in August.  Social security next month.  That is certainly a bucket list item achieved.  I have “arrived”?  Now what?



Psalms 47:7-9 says,
“For God is the King of all the earth;
sing to him a psalm of praise.
8 God reigns over the nations;
God is seated on his holy throne.
9 The nobles of the nations assemble
as the people of the God of Abraham,
for the kings of the earth belong to God;
he is greatly exalted.”

Father, thank you for being there so we can place an uncertain future in the hands of the Most Certain One.  Amen.

No comments: