Saturday, April 21, 2018

April 21 – “Plevilege”


We attended the University of Texas Medical Branch nursing school graduation yesterday.  One of our Seasiders got her bachelor’s degree and one of the fire fighters’ wives got her master’s degree.  I just had to change an apostrophe in that last sentence.  As I first typed it, one fire fighter had multiple wives.  As far as I know that is not the case for any of our guys.  But then if it was, I guess he wouldn’t go out of his way to tell me about it …

There was some unwanted action way back near the rear of the convention center where we were sitting.  I never saw it, but Chris watched the whole thing with her keenly tuned nurse’s eye.  Apparently a gentleman in a wheelchair was being hurriedly wheeled out of the facility.  Sadly, they didn’t make it.  He vomited several times all over the center aisle during the guest speaker’s recitation of UTMB history.  To their credit, Moody Gardens custodial crews leapt into action with mops and towels and buckets and sanitizer.  They had the entire aisle cleaned and ready to go before the speaker even finished talking.  And by the time the graduates filed out, all was well in their world.   Nice job by one of those under-appreciated groups that make big events like that one go so smoothly.

I picked up a brand new word of the week from one of the bigwigs who had things to say yesterday.  “Plevilege.”  Apparently it is a brand new, scholarly combination of the words “pleasure” and “privilege.”  At least those were the two she referenced when she broke down her word usage.  Always happy to add a new word to my vocabulary, especially one so intellectual.

After the graduation we went cross the street to see what all the racket was about.  Janell told us it was coming from their garage.  Sure enough, when I opened the door, there stood a classic garage band, practicing in all their glory.  Salty Sounds, featuring John on guitar, Jim on guitar, and Corey on his new electric violin, were jamming to prepare for several gigs they have coming up.  One is for the local Meals on Wheels banquet.  For that one they had a special request from the organizer.  Ready for this one?  “This Little Light of Mine.”  I happen to know the guy, so I told Jim to have him join them for that one, only make him sing it in Spanish.  He spent many years as a missionary in South America. 

Psalms 51:15 says, “O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise.”

Father, be with all those graduates as they head out to the next phase of their journey.  Be especially Melissa and Monica because … well, because I know them.  Amen.

No comments: