Tuesday, April 3, 2018

April 3 – “Eradicate”


After wading through my usual Monday work schedule on the computer – in a daze of sorts after the huge day on Easter Sunday – Chris joined me in an attempt to knock down some of the weeds that have infested our front lawn.  By “knock down” I mean pull up by the roots.  It is the only way to effectively eradicate those evil demon grow-in-a-circle weeds with pretend stickerburs (not the desert kind that are hard as a nail and sharp as a needle when they penetrate one’s unsuspecting foot).  Oh, there are two or three other brands of weeds, but these are the ones that garner most of my attention, probably because I hate stickerburs.  It’s a holdover from my youth, I suppose.  And the ones in our yard went absolutely wild this winter.  Whatever good grass we had (and we had a pretty nice yard full) is either still dormant or has been snuffed out of existence by the weeds and perhaps some miscreant grub worms.  Once we finish pulling up all the offending demon weeds, we plan to treat with some anti-grub stuff, then some weed and feed.  Then we wait. 

On a positive yard note (I guess it’s positive).  The sunflower arbor that I’m creating in the back yard is slowly taking shape.  It is perfect for the dogs right now.  Fritz in particular has chosen it as his go-to place for taking a walk.  All three dogs enjoy lazing around in the shade of it ever-growing leaves.  One of the plants is just a little taller than I am right now.  The others are doing their best to follow his example.  Meanwhile, I’m just glad Chris doesn’t yet have a photo of me crawling under the bushes to do the appropriate arbor pruning. 

We did get to see some of the Astros game before we left to see Jachin pitch in a baseball game of his own.  He did pretty well, too.  Didn’t have much support from his defense, though.  Very sloppy outfield play, the infielders often seemed confused about covering bases, and his catcher couldn’t hold on the ball when there were runners on base.  But hey, the boys are only 13 years old.  They are learning. 

So now it’s back to the computer.  I have a Bible study and a sermon to prepare for this week, and I’m still a little fuzzier in the head than usual.  I sure love Easter, but it takes a long time to recover.

Psalms 42:8 says, “By day the Lord directs his love, at night his song is with me — a prayer to the God of my life.”

Father, thank you for the days of recovery after big days like Easter.  Oh, and the poor remnants of sod in our yard could sure use some help.  Amen.

No comments: