Wednesday, April 4, 2018

April 4 – “How to … recover”


Well, I woke up yesterday morning (I know.  That’s a really good thing, right?) still reeling some from the big Easter celebration activities.  I had been awakened a time or two with leg cramps (hamstring cramps really hurt) from the squatting and sitting while pulling up weeds in the front yard.  It was still difficult to concentrate for long periods of time on computer work, but I waded through and managed to get prepared for the home group Bible study on Thursday.  That was about all the creativity I had left in the old noggin for one day, though, no matter how hard I tried to concentrate on a sermon for Sunday. 

So I headed back outside for some mindless weed-pulling.  We actually finished phase one of the front lawn refurbishment.  I think just about all the evil, grow-in-a-circle stickerbur plants are gone.  Well, all I could see, anyway.  There are still some patches of good grass here and there, so we are hoping with a little weed and feed and its brand new access to the sun that it will make a comeback on its own. 

While I was in the midst of pulling and tugging, I took a phone call from Mr. Bob.  He is one of the greatest encouragers I have ever known, and he is presently doing his Jesus encouraging at Seaside.  He has been in bed with the flu for a week, and missed the Easter celebration.  Really tore him up not to be there. But he called to encourage me and let me know that he had been praying for the service.  He thanked me for what I do and insisted that I give Chris a hug to say thanks to her for her behind the scenes work as well.  Wow.  Patch one on some post-big day tiredness.

I’m not sure when the next patch occurred.  It was a simple FaceBook response to my blog.  Diane sent me this: “You know … coming down from ‘the mountain’ is not fun!  In a slow-moving funk all day yesterday!  Gotta get a move on for this week!”  There is always something encouraging about knowing you are not along.  And you can’t beat a little kick in the pants to get moving. 

Finally, we had to make a run to WalMart to get some bananas (another anti-leg cramp device).  As always, it is relaxing to me to do some people watching, and you can’t beat WalMart for that.  Great way to put a patch on depression, by the way … look outward at other people instead of inward at yourself. 

As we were leaving, we ran into a Seaside family.  The Mom and Dad were among those baptized on Sunday, and they were still excited.  There’s another patch for combating depression …  remember past victories. 

And then came perhaps the best medicine of all.  Kind of transcended patches and leapt right into good medicine.  Their two little girls are among the best huggers in the world.  And they were both happy to see us.  I think it was a case of “Hey, what are Pastor Kelley and Mama Chris doing not at church?”  Absolutely the best funk medicine in the world?   A big hug from a little kid. 

So, want to help someone you love recover from a funk? 
Pray.  Give some personal verbal encouragement.  Communicate that he is not alone.  And if you know him well enough, perhaps impart a well-timed and well-placed kick in the pants to get moving.
Need to recover from a funk yourself? 
Practice looking outward instead of inward.  Remember past victories; you and God have done it before, the two of you can do it again.  And when it is offered, gladly receive a big hug from a little kid … or a big kid, for that matter. 

Psalms 42:11 says, “Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me?  Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.”

Father, thank you for the special hugs of a child.  And thank you for surprising me with the different forms your hugs take in my life.  Amen.

1 comment:

Linda Clinton said...

For leg cramps, my country doctor suggested V8 Fusion pomegranate with blueberry...NOT the energy one. Take care.