Monday, April 30, 2018

April 30 – “A Real Unicorn”


Great news.  I received some key dance instructions at church yesterday.  Seems I was not exactly nailing it in my rendition of whatever that new dance craze is where you swing your arms one way and your hips the other and switch from front to back.  My teacher – a teenage visitor – did her best, but I don’t know.  It was all too confusing to me.  When she dropped her head into her hands and shook it back and forth I knew I was officially deemed a failure.

The day wasn’t all bad, though.  My teacher’s young cousin, about a year or so old, reached out for me to give me a hug as soon as they entered the building.  Really made me feel special.  At least until I found out she does that to everyone she meets.  Sigh.

I did get some complements on my shirt.  I was wearing the original George.  I thought I had worn him a time or two before, but apparently it stood out like never before yesterday.  I must have had six or seven positive comments on good ol’ George.  Guess I’ll break out his brother, George, for next week.  Or maybe his other brother, George.  We’ll see.

As Chris and I walked up to the church yesterday we noticed one of those decorated shells that people are leaving around town.  It’s a new encouragement thing whereby someone decorates a rock or a shell and then leaves it in a conspicuous place to be found by someone who might need encouragement.  This one was particularly interesting, however.  It was indeed a seashell.  The shell was decorated.  It had two little crosses and the word “Rejoice” glued to it.  But on the step next to it was an old watch.  And together they formed one of the best Visual Verse-esque combinations I have seen in a long time.  I took a picture and posted it on FaceBook to see what people would make of its meaning.  Got some great responses. 
“Now is the time to worship.”
“Rejoice and be glad in it.”
“Time to get out of your shell and rejoice in the cross.”
“Rejoice in the Lord always.”
“Time to rejoice.”
Great fun.  Thanks to whoever shared with us.  Helped to make my day.

After church and a quick lunch with friends, we made our way into Texas for Noa’s fifth birthday party.  And boy, did she ever do it up big.  Well, “boy” had nothing to do with this one.  It was clearly a girly girl party from the get-go.  The theme was unicorns, and there were little girls with all sorts of unicorn shirts and dresses on.  Noa even had a headband with two ears and a horn on it.  They were set up in the back yard, playing and having a great time when what should enter through the gate?  It was a unicorn.  An actual, live unicorn.  Well, it was a Shetland pony with a horn strapped to that thing they wrap around his head (No, I don’t know any horse-ish or horse paraphernalia words).  A friend of theirs from church offered the use of their resident unicorn when they heard about the party. 

As you might imagine, Noa and the rest of the little girls were agog with excitement.  First they were allowed to put make-up on the horse.  It became a polka-dot creation.  And while that went on, others braided the horse’s mane and tail.  Wow.  Finally, the coup de grace – a saddle appeared and everyone of appropriate size got a pony ride (No … I wasn’t allowed.  Hence the “Appropriate size” comment). 

It was tough, but finally the kiddos tore away from the unicorn and Noa opened presents.  Oh, and somewhere in there we had a cake as well.  All decorated with a replica unicorn on top and some kind of rainbow looking candy strips around the side.  Apparently unicorns and rainbows together are a thing?  And don’t forget the bags of Skittles, er, I mean “Rainbow Seeds” for the girls (The boys that were there called them by their more appropriate name, “Unicorn Poop”).  I think this will be a birthday Noa remembers for a long time.

Psalms 57:5 says, “Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let your glory be over all the earth.”

Father, bless all those little girls and boys.  Draw them to yourself as they grow older.  But help them to maintain their spirit of awe and excitement.  Amen.

No comments: