Sunday, January 7, 2018

January 7 – “A window into a fire”

 Ever wondered what kinds of things go into a fire call?  Maybe this post will give you just a taste, a glimpse through the window.  And understand … there is oh, so much more involved. 

I went to another fire yesterday.  This one came through the app on my phone as Chris and I were waiting for breakfast to finish baking (cinnamon rolls).  It indicated the location as Jamaica Beach so I turned on my radio to hear some details.  Sure enough the fire was fully involved and not far from the church.  I looked at Chris and she simply said, “Goodbye.”

The sirens were already ahead of me as I headed toward the West End.  I was passed by one fire vehicle about Spanish Grant, so it was apparent that everyone was heading to this one.  I parked several blocks away and walked past several Galveston fire trucks.  I noted trucks from at least four of the Galveston stations had responded.  One was set up at the fire hydrant to pump needed water down to the fire.  Others were waiting to be called in as assist crews or to be released to service to cover the rest of the Island’s needs.  EMS was on site.  Police officers from Jamaica Beach and Galveston set up a road block to keep out traffic.  Curious neighbors lined the streets watching the action with cups of coffee in hand and heads sadly turning side to side. 

At the fire site the flames were still engulfing the structure, a canal home built on pilings, as are all the homes in the neighborhood.  Heavy smoke streamed from the attic.  Jamaica Beach Volunteer Fire Department was first on the scene, so Fire Chief Baden was intently focused, acting as command for the crews from Jamaica Beach and Galveston Fire Departments.  Galveston Chief Mike Wisko arrived as well, and offered his expertise as needed.  The crews from both departments worked together seamlessly, dragging hose and spraying hot spots and knocking down walls to reveal hidden simmering areas, all the while taking extra care because of the report of a box of ammunition and some fireworks on site.  A support team from Jamaica Beach VFD offered bottles of water to tired fire fighters as they returned to the trucks to replenish air tanks and take a quick breather before returning to the battle.  I also saw some neighbors bring over bottles of water and even Gatorade as well. 

Word soon began to spread that the fire began somewhere in the garage.  The resident heard an explosion and suddenly the house was fully engulfed with fire.  She barely had time to get out.  There were pets involved, however.  Three large dogs were cowering on the deck.  Apparently one jumped to safety on its own.  A second responded to an unusual rescue effort.  A ladder was placed against the deck and responders held a large sheet of plywood over their heads as they climbed it.  One of the dogs got the idea right away and jumped from the deck onto the plywood and then to the ground.  The final pup was too frightened to take the scary plunge, however.  The dog’s fear proved to be a boon to fire fighters, however.  Once it started cowering in a corner, the rescuers were able to carry it to safety. 

After I had been there for a while, Chief Baden and Lauren from the Jamaica Beach department pointed out the homeowner to me.  I made my way over to offer my help and prayers.  As we talked I felt an arm engulf me from behind and a voice call out, “Hello, Pastor Kelley.”  It was the lady’s boyfriend who also lived in the house with her.  Now, I get a lot of people acknowledging me as “Pastor Kelley” even when I don’t know who they are.  This was one of those times.  It took me a while before it registered that this young man had been one of the youngsters who grew up coming to Seaside's children and youth events. His current full beard and the cowboy hat pulled down over his face certainly went a long way toward changing his appearance.  Seems that the house had belonged to his grandparents who had recently died, and the property had just passed into his mother’s hands.  He was living there and fixing the house up, with new paint and brand new flooring so far already completed.  Later, when I left the fire scene, I made a stop by Michael’s Mom’s house to check on her and assure her that everyone was fine.  Mike was there when I arrived, so we had prayer together.

As fire crews worked to finish knocking down the blaze and seeing the clean-up through to the end (the house was a total loss), the Jamaica Beach Volunteer Fire Department contacted the Red Cross to get some immediate assistance for the family.  Several neighbors approached me to offer help as well, and asked if they could contact me with donations in the days to come.  I received a call from Galveston fire fighter David Rojas later that night.  His family had been collecting clothing since Hurricane Harvey, and it was all stored at Mario’s on 61st Street.  They wanted to offer whatever they had to the family in need. 

First responders.  Community.  Church.  Family.  All pieces of the puzzle … glimpsed through the widow.

Psalms 21:13 says, “Be exalted, O Lord, in your strength; we will sing and praise your might.”


Father, walk with Michael and Nancy and Maureen as they face all the unknowns of starting over.  Bless the first responders for their timely and professional response.  They certainly made me proud.  Amen.

No comments: