Saturday, January 13, 2018

January 13 – “Unbridled”

Here’s a little story I have been saving for when my day was particularly boring.  It happened a while back at church.

I had a little visitor kid take to me at church.  That sometimes happens.  First he approached me while we were singing.  I squatted down to see what he wanted, and he took my face in his hands.  He almost got distracted playing with my beard, then asked if he could please have a donut.  Of course I told him it was all right with me, but he had to ask his mommy and daddy first.  He went straight to the donut holes, grabbed one and took off to daddy’s arms.  I followed to explain what I had told him.  They were fine with his special treat.  In fact Mommy wanted to pay for all the donuts right then and there.  Umm.  Nope. 

Later on he came back by me again and did a drive-by hugging of my leg.  Then he returned a third time and held his arms up for me to hold him.  Of course I did.  I can’t resist pleading eyes in a little kid any more.  Don’t have to.  I’m a granddad.  And when I scooped him up, he grabbed me in the biggest hug I have received in a long, long time. 

Well, here’s the thing.  He wouldn’t let go.  Dad came over and tried several times to take him, but he held on tight.  And then good ol’ Dad had a brainstorm.  Bribery.  He came over and popped a donut hole in the little guy’s mouth.  Magic.  Suddenly Dad is the hero of the hour.  The youngster went right to him.  So much for the allure of the bearded one, the grandfatherly figure, the kindly old pastor.  Can’t compete with a donut hole.

Psalms 24:1-2 says, “The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it; for he founded it upon the seas and established it upon the waters.”


Father, thank you for the unbridled expression of love that only a child can pull off effectively.  Amen.

No comments: