Friday, January 19, 2018

January 19 – “Sans …”

I went to a meeting yesterday.  I know.  Not my favorite thing in the world to do either.  But this one was with a group of pastor-type guys here on the Island who are interested in developing unity among the pastors and ultimately among the churches here.  Kind of a grass roots movement toward what Jesus had in mind a long time ago.  They sponsor a united worship time three or four times a year already.  They also pray together once a week.  The other goal is for pastors to get together every so often in a more social setting: going for coffee or having a family day at the park with one another.  This meeting was designed to kind of build in some structure to what has already been happening, and to take a look at the best way to move forward.  It is really refreshing to hang out with like-minded folks, even if I was the elder statesman of the group … by a long shot.  But hey, now we can say we have representation from the cradle to the grave, right?

Freddy had a visitor yesterday afternoon.  I heard a faint knock at the door.  I leaned way forward from my seat and who should be standing there, but Little Evie, Freddy’s friend from across the street.  She just stopped by with her Mommy and her doll stroller to say hi, sans the doll (That’s my word for the day.  I learned that one from crossword puzzles.  “Sans” is apparently French for “without”).  I think maybe she had her imaginary friend in the stroller, though.  It was kind of hard to tell since they left the stroller outside, so the poor friend had to brave the still-bitter, but not quite so bad cold.  Evie was pretty careful with it when they left, though.  I think the imaginary creature of whatever species is in good hands. 

We are on our way out the door to brave the cold North winds of Waco for an overnight excursion.  Caleb is having his birthday party tomorrow, sandwiched in between two basketball games.  He plays in one and Zak plays in the other.  Gotta get ready.  It’s almost 7:30.  Chris should be getting out of bed soon …

Psalms 27:4 says, “For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock.”


Father, please give us a safe trip.  Amen.

No comments: