Saturday, January 27, 2018

January 27 – “The case of the disappearing wedding”

Several days ago we were contacted by our son Josh who lives in Waco.  He let us know the wonderful news that his son Zak had given his life to Jesus and was going to be baptized.  We were, of course, invited to be a part of viewing the festivities.  And of course we wouldn’t miss it.  A tentative date was chosen and I set in on locating a substitute preacher for Seaside. 

In the meantime, Josh called back and had a second request.  Could we by chance come up a few days early?  He and Christi were hoping to take a quick overnight excursion together, if we could be at their house for the kids, that is.  Not a problem on this end.  In fact I also heard back from the sub preacher and all was set for Baptism Sunday as well.

Now fast forward to about this past Tuesday.  Just about the time I was beginning to come out of the fog of being sick.  I received a FaceBook message from the niece of an old friend asking if I could do her wedding on Jamaica Beach in June.  My calendar was clear, so I pulled out my wedding file to start her a page.  And that’s when I saw it.  Right there in the back of the book, on one of my file pages, in my handwriting … information about a wedding.  I had no recollection of the event, but honestly that’s not so unusual.  After all, that’s why I have the file, so I don’t have to remember everything.  But the date.  You guessed it.  Same date we had just confirmed with Josh.  Oh, the Sunday was open, but the preliminary, just-the-two-of-them trip?  I couldn’t be there after all. 

And that resulted in quite the flurry of activity.  I notified Josh.  Our first Plan B was for me to just drive back on Friday for the rehearsal and wedding, then meet them at the baptism on Sunday morning.  Josh countered that they really didn’t want me to have to do that.  Maybe they could just reschedule everything for the next weekend.  I emailed the sub preacher to see if he could switch weeks.  Ah, the things we do for our kids and grandkids. 

While I waited for some responses, I suddenly had a hunch about something.  For no particular reason other than said hunch, I texted the bride to touch base and see how things were going.  After an hour or two she replied.  Ready for this one?  She told me they hired someone else back when they first contacted me.  They didn’t need me after all.  Well, OK.  I quickly notified my sub preacher (hadn’t heard from him yet anyway) and said, “Never mind.”  Then I texted Josh with this:
“Well, well, well.  Guess what news I just got?  I don’t have a wedding on February 17th any more.  So … never mind.”
His response was pretty classic:
“Well, that’s a much simpler solution.”
Master of understatement, that boy.

Psalms 28:8-9 says, “The Lord is the strength of his people, a fortress of salvation for his anointed one.  Save your people and bless your inheritance; be their shepherd and carry them forever.”


Father, thank you for surprises.  I really do like them, especially when they cause everything to fall back into place.  Amen.

No comments: