Wednesday, January 31, 2018

January 31 – “It’s gone”

Well, I woke up early this morning.  I knew I had to meet the bug guy at church at 8, so my body kindly aroused the rest of me at 5:15.  That’s all right, though.  As a result I got to see the Monstrous Multicolored Moon, or whatever it is they call it.  Imagine my surprise when, about an hour later, I glanced out the window and half of it was missing.  An eclipse.  Oh, I heard there was going to be one, but I thought you had to be in Hawaii to see it.  I quickly woke Chris up to experience this phenomenon with me.  Yeah.  Not her favorite thing in the world, getting up at 6:30.  But she did it.  Her incredible love for her husband and the appeal of the unusual, not necessarily in that order, were more than she could stand, however.  She struggled through her distaste of the wee morning hours and joined me on the deck of the empty house next door.  we watched until the full moon was enveloped in the nothingness of shadows.  Just as it disappeared, a flock of birds flew across our line of sight.  Beautiful stuff.  Very romantic.  I hoped to see at least the sliver of its return, but by that time it was too far down on the horizon to see past the neighbor’s house.  Our moon memories would have to suffice.

We did our grandparently duty as well.  We texted each of our kids to see if anyone was awake in their realms.  Ezra’s tough night kept them from dragging out of what little sleep they managed.  Josh texted back a few times as he did his best to discover what it was we seemed so excited about.  I’m happy to say he now finally understands the term, “Once in a blue moon.”  That’s my boy.  Nathan texted me with a resounding “Whoop.”  Not sure if that means he saw it or was just kindly celebrating with his elderly parental units.  I think he was at work.  Cailyn may have been getting ready for school.  Ah, well.  Maybe they will all get a chance to experience it some other time.  I suppose it will happen again … once in a blue moon. 

Psalms 29:4 says, “The voice of the Lord is powerful; the voice of the Lord is majestic.”


Father, thank you for strange and wonderful events in your skies.  Amen.

No comments: