Monday, January 15, 2018

January 15 – “The birthdays”

Well, imagine that.  I’m older than I thought in more ways than one.  Today is my birthday as a believer.  Not my regular birthday.  That’s in August.  This is more of an anniversary, I guess.  It was way back in 1971, my senior year in high school that I finally “got it.”  I finally understood that God isn’t stuck in a box behind the altar up at the church.  He was alive and active and actually wanted to have a personal relationship with me.  Wow.  Now, it has taken me the better part of those 47 years to understand that God doesn’t live in some box I have constructed in my head, either.  He doesn’t have to conform to what I think he should do or be like.  He’s wild that way.  That’s what makes having a relationship with him so exciting.  Think I’ll go for another year.  You never know what he may have in store …

Well, happy birthday to Cailyn, too (one of the many things we have in common).  We went to her birthday party yesterday after lunch at Pit Stop Barbeque with some Seaside friends.  The party was an interesting one.  She combined forces with her best friend at school who also has a birthday this week.  Anticipating a rather large crowd, the event was held at the fire fighter’s union hall.  Plenty of room for the onslaught of eight and nine year olds.  The union even has a big blow-up bounce house in the shape of a fire station.  Very creative.  It certainly held the kids’ attention for the few hours we were there.  Oh, and the pizza.  And cupcakes.  And cookies.  Then the girls all headed off to the BFF’s (Is that still a thing?) house for a slumber party.  Did I get that right?  Girls have slumber parties.  Guys have sleepovers.  It all seemed to go off without a hitch.  Oh, and April, being the great Mom that she is, spent some time with her friends (after the little girls left, of course) making sure that the gifts Cailyn received all were in proper working order.  Plus she made sure that Cailyn wouldn’t be hindered in her play efforts by such annoying things as packaging.  Nothing had been broken yet by the time we left, but the big girls sure seemed to be having fun.  So, Cailyn, if you have any operational questions about your new gifts, I know who you can ask …

Pslams 25:6-7 says, “Remember, O Lord, your great mercy and love, for they are from of old.  Remember not the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to your love remember me, for you are good, O Lord.”


Father, thank you for 47 of the best years imaginable.  And thanks for Cailyn.  She’s really growing up.  Draw her to yourself so she can have more than 47 under her belt by the time she’s my age.  Amen.

No comments: