Wednesday, January 24, 2018

January 24 – “A slick assessment”

Before we get too far away from the whole triple whammy snow/ice apocalypse thing here in South Texas (since it could be fifteen years before we have another one … or it could happen next week), I do want to give some accolades to a TV reporter out of one of the Houston stations.  He was stationed for his report outside in the cold nastiness.  And his assignment?  To tell me everything I ever needed to know about sleet.  Yep.  Houston, Texas, that bastion of sleet-related wisdom.  To his credit, he did let us actually see some sleet, since it was at the time all around him.  Sadly, however, he should have let the video feed speak for itself.  He did boil down his report to the three most important things to know about life in the sleet realm:
1) “Don’t go walking around in it” (At this point the camera panned to show someone actually walking around in it with his dog) “… unless you are letting your dog go to the bathroom.”  (Quick thinking, I guess
2) “But don’t take your dog to the bathroom in high heels.”  (Best I could tell there were no offenders present that fell into this category.  I have no idea where that thought even came from)
3) (And the coup de gras) “And don’t walk around with your hands in your pocket.  You won’t be able to catch yourself when you fall.”  (Um.  OK?  Pretty slick assessment, I guess)
Ah, yes.  Weather news always brings out the best of the best in television reporting.  Is there a such thing as the Jim Cantore Award? 

On to a more recent, pressing matter.  On top of dealing with this fluishness, I had another crisis occur last night while I was minding my own business.  A filling fell out of one of my teeth.  No pain involved or anything.  It just decided it was time to seek new life, new civilizations, to boldly go where no filling has gone before.  So now I must include in my morning list of activities a call to the dentist to see if I can get a refill.  Not the expense we had in our sights at this point in time.  On a positive note, the dentist usually wears a mask, so she should be safe from any lingering contagiousness. 

Psalms 27:13 says, “I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.”


Father, please work out a time to get this tooth taken care of.  And a reasonable rate would be really helpful, too.  Amen.

No comments: