Sunday, January 28, 2018

January 28 – “Celebrating Silly”

It is amazing how much settling for small things matters when you have been under the weather for a week.  Taking a walk, for instance.  I was excited the other day to make it to the end of the street and back (both ends).  Then on Friday Chris took me for another walk, this time all the way around the block.  OK, I know how that sounds.  She did not have to put a leash around my neck and tell me to heel, though.  I promised before we left that I would behave.  Besides, how much trouble could I get into walking around the block? 

Well, I must have passed that around the block test.  Yesterday Chris took me with her to WalMart.  Ah, WalMart.  Teeming with humanity just waiting to be … watched.  Of course I had to walk the obligatory circle a time or two, seeking out the three - or was it four? - items on our list.  They didn’t have the dog food we use.  Found a three ring binder that I needed.  Chris got a plastic tub for sewing stuff.  Oh, and milk.  And bananas.  And oranges.  Are we at four items yet?  Typical trip to WalMart, I suppose. 

We had been there a while, and I was starting to realize that I was slumping more and more over the basket.  Even the excitement adrenaline of being at WalMart among people was wearing thin.  But then I received a shot in the arm.  Diane, one of our Seasiders, walked up and greeted us.  She is the epitome of encouragement, even on her worst days (Not that she has many, but we have all struggled with this sickness crud).  Well, Friday wasn’t one of her worst days.  She was apparently feeling pretty good, and her spirit of encouragement reached out and grabbed me by the heart and shook it seven ways to Saturday.  Oh, I was still tired, but my own spirit sure responded.  Gee, I guess that guy down at the church much be telling the truth.  There really is something to this encourage one another and build each other up idea. 

Yesterday was a little different, though.  No walks around the block.  It was raining all day.  No trips to WalMart.  Chris was focused on quilting all day.  I focused on finishing up the teaching for this morning, so I was buried in my computer.  I did get to watch some college basketball, though.  Oh, and last night we watched a cleaned up for TV version of an old Steven Seagal movie.  And finally, I … ate … a slice of pizza.  After a week of chicken and dumplings followed by chicken pot pie, I actually ate a piece of pizza.  I felt almost … normal.  OK, I know it’s silly to be so excited about WalMart and pizza.  But sometimes you just have to appreciate the little things … to Celebrate the Silly.  So, thanks, Diane.  I believe I’ll have another dose.

1 Thessalonians 5:11 says, “Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as you also are doing.”


Father, thank you for silly things that bring joy in silly places.  And thanks for your people who carry the Celebrate the Silly message.  Amen.

No comments: