Sunday, January 14, 2018

January 14 – “A philosophical moment”

We experienced a Texas Saturday yesterday.  No, I don’t mean we rode horses (we used the car) or slapped on our ten gallon hats (Mine is a cap that reads Galveston Fire Dept) or tended our personal oil wells (Got nothing on that one.  No oil well here).  Nope.  A Texas Saturday just means we had to drive across the causeway and into Texas.  We left the safety and security of the Island.

And why would we dare to do something so dangerous?  Oh, a few reasons.  First off, we went to Ezra’s first birthday party.  He was actually born in December, but with Christmas and all, his party got shoved back a month.  Not sure how that plan will go over when he gets a little older.  It wasn’t a huge affair (well, he has three brothers and a sister, so just the immediate family makes a crowd).  But the grandparents were there, a cousin or two, and even one little guy from their church. 

After cake and ice cream, I left Chris on site and headed deeper into Texas territory to visit Seasider Dave who is recuperating at a rehabilitation hospital after a stroke just after Christmas.  He had just had a visit from his wife and his dog, so I was certainly well down on the priority list of his Saturday log.  He is doing much better physically than even last week when I checked in on him.  He still has a long way to go with physical and occupational therapy before they can talk about when he can leave the facility.

After we prayed together I headed back toward Ezra’s house.  We were pretty low on gas, so I stopped to fill up.  That’s where I had one of those philosophical moments.  Scary, huh?  Just walking from the pump to the cashier (no paper in the receipt generator), I had no less than four people step aside or hold the door for me or quite pleasantly greet me.  Respect is an amazing thing, and I don’t receive it lightly.  My philosophical moment, however, involved speculation on just why the respect occurred in the first place.  Was it just because sometimes you can hit a pocket of nice people in Texas?  Maybe.  Or was it the Astros championship t-shirt I was wearing?  Lots of comradery there, for sure.  I thought perhaps it was the fire department cap.  People have a lot of respect for fire fighters, don’t they?  But then I figured it out.  At least I’m pretty sure this is where they were coming from.  Why the respect?  Why the kindness?  Because I’m a gray-headed, white-bearded, feeble-looking old guy who may not be able to get that door open without help.  Hmm.  OK.  Philosophy never was my long suit.

Just as I arrived back at the house Kel was on his way to jump his car and take it to WalMart to get a new battery.  I followed him and Micah and Josiah.  After the initial “It’ll be about 30 minutes” we returned to the auto section (We spent that time roaming the toy department and the electronics wing.  Big WalMart).  Upon our return we were told that it was going to take “a while.”  Kel tried for a bit more specific answer, so he got one: “A long while.”  Great.  Wish he had decided that 45 minutes ago.  We went on back to the house and had some of Christina’s great taco soup.  Christina’s Dad volunteered to take Kel back up when the car was ready, so Chris and I finally headed back to Galveston, our Texas Saturday at a close. 

Psalms 25:4-5 says, “Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.”


Father, thank you for young Ezra.  Grant him a happy life.  Amen.

No comments: