Monday, January 29, 2018

January 29 – “A conglomeration of nice”

Well, I made it through my first Sunday back from the sickbed (Not that the bed was sick.  In fact, I spent most of my time on the couch, so change that to sick couch, I guess).  And I suppose Seaside was OK to have me back.  I know Bob was ecstatic (He’s the guy who filled in for me last week.  In fact he called me Saturday evening to make sure I would be there).  I don’t know how effective the teaching was, though.  I was pretty exhausted by the time I finished.  Felt like it last forever.  So, sorry about that, folks.  If seemed that long to me, it must have been interminable to you guys.  I do appreciate the support and encouragement, though.

It was great to have Dave in our midst.  He’s the guy who sang with the Praise Team on Christmas Eve and before the week was out ended up hospitalized with a stroke.  He’s at home now, and can’t negotiate the stairs, so the Jamaica Beach Volunteer Fire Department went to his house, picked him up, and gave him a ride to church.  How’s that for service?  It’s great to be in a small town.  Speaking of small town, Lauren, one of our awesome Seasiders, was at a garage sale Saturday.  She saw some appliances that were in excellent condition.  Her immediate thought?  To buy then for the young couple whose house burned down not long ago.  And when another garage saler found out what she was doing, he decided to pitch in and go halves with her on it.  Taking care of each other …

We also had Cailyn with us.  It has been a while.  She didn’t miss a beat, though.  Seaside is still her territory, as far as she is concerned.  Of course the more kids we get the harder it is for her to stake her claim of dominance.  She loves being there, though.  Yesterday she stuck herself to Dianne, the pianist.  Never left her side.  Even sat with her during church.  And Dianne was as patient and encouraging as ever.  I would say that Cailyn is well-loved to put it mildly.  You know what?  Church is just … nice.

Psalms 29:1-2 says, “Ascribe to the Lord, O mighty ones, ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.  Ascribe to the Lord the glory due his name; worship the Lord in the splendor of his holiness.”


Father, thank you for putting us into such a conglomeration of nice: Family, Church,  Community.  Amen.

No comments: