Wednesday, February 3, 2016

February 3 – “BRP”

Hmm.  Burning off calories, getting in shape, and staying off a painful heel spur.  How does one accomplish such a feat?  Oh, and without access to a swimming pool.  I know that’s how they handle it on Biggest Loser.  Weird, non-impact exercises on the rug?  Maybe.  I know that helps with core strengthening, but it doesn’t do much aerobically, so there’s not much getting in shape involved.  What is the answer?  Why, a bicycle ride, of course.

I hope I managed to say that so it sounded cheerful and excited, really fired up about the prospects.  I’m doing my best to convince myself.  See, I never have really enjoyed bike riding.  Oh, I did enough of it as a kid.  But back then there was always a purpose behind it.  You know, I had to get out to the airport for baseball practice.  Or maybe ride over to the Wilder’s house to trade some baseball cards.  Or most likely, ride over to the 7-11 to see if they had any new baseball card packages to sell.  Of course I couldn’t do that until I had gone door to door asking people if I could sweep their gutters for a quarter.  And a quarter back then got me five packages of cards.  I guess my point is … there was always a point to my bicycle excursions.  To ride just for the sheer joy of riding?  Not in my realm of existence.

So this whole bike riding for my health thing needed quite a boost in my eyes.  Some reason behind it other than enjoying the scenery in the short term and “getting healthy” in the very long term.  In an effort to make the experience more palatable, Chris worked hard to deck out my bike with several amenities.  A seat that is rectangular and roughly suited to my anatomy Way better than the triangular nightmare that works from the moment you sit down to cut off blood flow to the lower extremities.  A special holder for my iPhone so I can stay in touch with the world as I tool around in it.  Actually it is there in case of emergencies, of course.  I would never, say … accept a FaceTime call from Cailyn while I was riding.  Well, maybe I would do that.  OK, so I did that.  But the idea is that if we have a crash we will have the phone right there in front of us (Notice I switched to “us”?  Chris has one, too).  I even have a cup holder for a water bottle for those long, grueling treks in Galveston summers.  Not that we have taken one of those yet.  We just got the bikes a few months ago.  But my all-time favorite bicycle extra, the one thing that has kept me excited about riding around the neighborhood with no immediate goal in mind … my horn.  For Christmas Chris got me one of those old-timey honkers that fits right on the handlebars.  Now you’re talking.

I love my horn.  Sometimes I honk it randomly, just to announce to the world that I am on my bicycle and I have a horn.  Most of the time I honk it when I see someone, just to get their attention so I can wave and smile.  Except that one little old lady who was getting something out of her car.  I guess she did have her back to us, and who would have expected such an awesome sound as my bicycle horn?  She did seem a little startled.  Maybe that’s why Chris wouldn’t let me honk at her when we came back around to her house again and she was watering her grass.

Other than that, thus far everyone seems to appreciate the gesture.  They all wave back and often add a grin of their own or maybe even a verbal acknowledgment.  The one response that also seems universal is the slight shake of the head from side to side as we pass by.  I think they might be thinking, “Why don’t I get a bicycle like that guy – and a horn of my own.”  Chris thinks it might be more along the lines of, “There guys one weird, probably senile old dude on a bicycle.  Hope he’s not dangerous to himself.”  Either way, the smile has happened and they can’t take it back.  Mission accomplished.  And I have my BRP – no, not “Burp.”  My Bike Riding Purpose.

1 John 2:28 says, “And now, dear children, continue in him, so that when he appears we may be confident and unashamed before him at his coming.”


Father, thank you for my neighbors and for the chance to get them to smile just a little bit.  Amen.

No comments: