Thursday, February 11, 2016

February 11 – “Sporting the look”

OK.  Here are the official results of my consultation with my rheumatologist about the piercing pain in my heel whenever I walk or stand for a long period of time or just make it  to the end of another day.  Ready?  “It will get worse and worse and then it will get better.”  Wow.  What an exciting prognosis.  Now I know he was more focused on teaching the student docs that came in with him (and I am fine with that.  In fact, it is always kind of fun) and on getting me the Xeljanz medication that the insurance company started charging an exorbitant deductible for.  And in fact, before I left the office, his crew had contacted the manufacturer and the specialty pharmacy.  The manufacturer paid the deductible.  And on our way home, before we got too far from the office, I got a call that we could swing by the pharmacy just a few blocks away and pick up the medication.  Gotta admit … that was impressive.  But … that’s not why I went for the appointment.  My heel spur issue.  Best I could understand, all I can do is wear those padded inserts in my shoe, do stretching exercises, roll a tennis ball around under my foot, and ice it.  So in a nutshell, treat the symptoms.  Sigh.  Add one more pain to my list.  Maybe I can start using Mom’s old wheelchair and get preferred parking and free trips to the head of the line.  Not quite ready to give up the ghost just yet, though. 

Cailyn was already in bed asleep when I got home from the Ash Wednesday services last night.  Turns out she didn’t go to softball practice like we expected.  Her new glasses came in, and she was raring to go pick them up.  I didn’t get to see them on her until this morning, but they are really cute on her.  Not many people can sport the glasses look and still be drop dead gorgeous … Felicity Smoak … Kara Danvers … Cailyn Vaughan.  Awesome company.  She picked them out herself, too.  They kind of remind me of a pair that I had when I was a kid.  Nostalgic moment.  Here’s praying that all goes well at school today.  I asked if she was excited to show her friends.  She replied, “I’m more excited to show Mrs. Schaff.  She wears glasses, too.”  It never ceases to amaze me the influence a teacher holds with the kids in her class. 

1 John 4:7-8 says, “Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.  Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.”


Father, thank you for the minor medication miracle.  That stuff really does help.  Thanks for the excitement Cailyn has going for her about those glasses.  And walk with teachers today.  Give them the energy to match that influence.  Amen.

No comments: