Tuesday, February 23, 2016

February 23 – “You may have already won …”

We had a pretty good group at church Sunday.  Several of our new families were actually there at the same time.  We still had a handful of out-of-towners.  And we even had two families who are long-time Seasiders who haven’t been in quite a while.  It’s always great to see those folks.  

Speaking of those folks, I had a chance to talk to Matt and Will, the 12 and 11-year olds of the family.  They were very excited to be at church again, and even sat right on the front row.  Will was particularly excited.  He told me all about an upcoming family trip to the Bahamas.  I asked if they were going on a cruise – the typical way to get from Galveston to those Islands.  Will assured me, “No, no.  It will be on an airplane.”  I told him the airplane ride alone would be a pretty exciting experience.  That’s when he raced right into a detailed description of “a game that you can play when you go to WalMart or somewhere.  It’s a Monopoly game and they give you these little cards that you open up and then tear off these little pieces that you stick on the Monopoly game paper and you win stuff when get all the pieces of a section and one of the sections is for a trip to the Bahamas for four people and it’s for free and we have all but just one of those and we haven’t even been to the store yet this week and when we go we might get it and  …”  At that point Will had to take a breath.  I had already been out of breath since about “you win stuff” just listening to him.  I am not really sure now if his family is actually going  to the Bahamas or if he is just anticipating that final puzzle piece so much that he is already packing in his mind.  If they are going, may they have a great time.  With Matt and Will along, I don’t see how it could be anything less than fun, fun, fun.

Seaside is hosting early voting again for the March election.  Since we were having dinner on the grounds, and the crew began to arrive to set up and work the machines, we invited them to grab a plate and enjoy some lunch on us.  A few of them took us up on the offer.  In fact one lady shyly approached me and asked if I was the pastor.  I told her I was, and her whole countenance changed.  She grinned broadly and asked, “Well, then, can I get me a big hug?”  Hey, I have never been one to turn down even a little hug.  What a great way to receive a thank you.  Now I have to share a bunch of big hugs in her name with the rest of the church.  Sigh.  Such sacrifices I must make as pastor …

1 John 5:14 says, “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.”


Father, thank you for thank-you’s and big hugs.  Amen.

No comments: