Tuesday, February 16, 2016

February 16 – “Blocking back”

Well, I heard back from the boogermeister yesterday.  His Mom texted me his comment on my article.  Ready for this one?  “I’m quite the boogerologist.”  That you are, Caleb.  That you are.

The President’s Day holiday was not so much a holiday for me.  After spending the morning toiling at my computer, engrossed in my typical Monday morning plethora of duties regarding church, I decided to make some rounds among a few of the fire stations.  It has been a number of weeks since I have had the time (or the heel energy) to do that.  I started out at Central, hoping to check in with the chief.  Oh, and with Trish.  I always try to see the one who actually runs things.  Unfortunately, both of them were out for the day.  But I did get to talk for a while with the three assistant chiefs and with the fire marshal administrative assistant.  Nora is like the other Trish around there.  They were holding down the fort admirably.  When I left the Central station I decided to swing by station two out on the East End.  That turned out to be a great visit with the squad out there.  Quite the collection of storytellers.  Obviously it was a really slow day call-wise.

On my way home I heard sirens and checked my rear view mirror.  Sure enough engine one was speeding on its way to a call.  I was stopped at a red light, so I glanced at my phone to see where they were headed.  Problem at a Day Care Center.  Now there were three lanes on the street where I was stopped, Broadway.  I was farthest to the right.  The other two cars had nowhere to go to get out of the way, so I pulled as far over as I could, and finally just made a right turn on red onto the side street.  Fortunately I completed the maneuver just in time.  The engine driver saw his opening and changed lanes so that he could make his way through the hole I created.  I felt kind of like a tiny fullback blocking for a hulking tailback on his way to a touchdown.  Too much football, I guess.  Go Astros.

1 John 4:19 says, “We love because he first loved us.”


Father, thank you once again for our fire department guys.  Keep them all safe.  Amen.

No comments: