Monday, February 9, 2015

February 9 – “Smells like a candle burning”

I responded to another fire call last night.  This one was an apartment right around the corner from our house.  I checked in with the fire fighters when I first arrived, and this time I was able to connect with the lady who had made the call.  She told me that she had started smelling what she described as a candle burning, but she knew she hadn’t lit any candles.  Then, when she saw smoke coming from an air conditioner vent, she knew it was time to call 911 and get out of the apartment.  Her story was continually punctuated with apologies for calling the department in. She just knew she had done something terribly wrong, and if it turned out there was no fire after all, she would be mortified.  I reassured her over and over that she indeed did do the right thing, and should do it again even if it was later on that same night.  I let her know that the fire fighters were there to help her make sure that she felt safe.  She seemed to be doing better when I left.  Her good-bye even included a “Hallelujah” of thanks.  Could have been much worse.

As far as the fire fighters were concerned, they were determined to find the source of the smoke.  They smelled the candle-like odor as well when they first arrived, but the first inspection of the apartment uncovered no flames of any kind, and no source, either.  Unwilling to give up, they started searching for heat signatures all around the apartment and up into the attic area.  Still nothing.  The smell had pretty much dispersed, and it was looking like that would have to be the final report.  But our Galveston fire fighters are tenacious, among other things.  They checked around the outside of the building and around back.  Still nothing.  Finally they decided to make one more check behind the apartment’s oven before they left the scene.  The group entered while I was chatting with the resident just outside the door.  And in just a few seconds we heard a cry, “I found it.”  In this case he meant the source of the smell and not an actual fire in progress, thank goodness.  Apparently the dishwasher had gone a little overboard with the heat, and a cup had begun to melt.  The odor had been one of melting plastic, which can be quite pungent. 

I applaud the tenacity of the crew for sticking it out until they located the source.  And I appreciated their attitude.  As they were leaving I heard one of them say, “I, for one, am gonna sleep better tonight.”  I assure you, you were not alone in that sentiment.  That resident slept better.  As did the other tenants in that building.  And you know what?  So did I.  I’m not sure what the most appropriate word would be here … Comforting?  Reassuring?  Encouraging?  It’s just great to know you guys are there.

Psalms 23:4 says, “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”

Father, thank you for the folks you have called out to be sources of comfort for you here on earth, especially the ones who wear helmets and bunker gear.  Amen.

No comments: