Tuesday, February 17, 2015

February 17 – “Let’s kick it

Well, it got cold again.  Really cold.  For Galveston, mind blasting, toe-numbing cold.  When I woke up this morning the temperature on WeatherBug read 38 degrees.  Thankfully, it adjusted itself to 39.9 rather rapidly.  Thanks a lot for those extra two degrees, WeatherBug.  Looks like the forecasted high for today is 48 and the low is 35.  That is way too close to the freezing mark as far as I’m concerned.  Just think, yesterday Chris and I took a walk around the neighborhood and admired all the buds shooting out from the trees.  Come on Spring.  You can do it.

After Chris did some of that famous online research, I decided that starting today I am going to try to get off the decongestant I take every day.  It was prescribed for me by one of our now-AWOL doctors at UTMB way back in the day before Claritin-D became an over-the-counter drug.  It does work for me, by the way.  It is a wonderful thing to breathe.  I kind of like it.  But the research indicates some kind of rebound effect when you take too much of a good thing over too long a time.  Your body decides it requires a larger and larger dose, or something like that.  Sounds like the basic principles of addiction to me.  It’s supposed to take four to seven days of congestion before a breakthrough occurs.  Of course they never mention what “breakthrough” actually looks like.  Will I suddenly wake up one morning and realize I can breathe?  That sounds like a pleasant experience and all, but I kind of already do that.  Pretty much ever since I became a Christian.  It comes with the whole “I appreciate you for giving me life, God” concept.  And definitely since I passed 60.  Every day’s a gift when you get “that age,” you know.  (I said that for Chris’ benefit.  One of her greatest pet peeves is for a doctor to start any sentence with any variation of, “You know at your age …” or my particular favorite, “When we reach a certain age …”  This being said by a youngster fresh out of medical school.  Lose the “we” my young friend.  You have no idea).  So … here goes nothing.  Let’s kick it. 

Genesis 2:7 says, “the Lord God formed the man  from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.”

Father, thank you for every day of breath you give me.  And thank you for that first blast of your life-giving breath.  Amen.

No comments: