Friday, February 6, 2015

February 6 – “Late night fears”

I love it when my grandsons come up with something totally random, completely off the wall.  Makes me feel like my life work has not been completely in vain.  Latest example?  Well, let me start it off with a question for you to ponder.  Now, let this also be a warning to you of what is to come.  If you are faint of heart in any way, it might be best for you to just skip on down to the Bible verse and read over the prayer and have a wonderful day.  The image I am about to paint into your memory might cause you night after night of untold grief, unspeakable horror, and, it goes without saying, sleepless nights.  Ready now?  The question is this: What would you do if you woke up from a deep sleep, still late during a dark and stormy night, rolled over in your bed with a yawn just beginning on your lips, forced your eyes open to take a quick peek at the bedside clock to see just how much more time you had before being forced to rouse yourself completely and get out from under your warm and cozy – and safe – comforter, and those bleary eyes met a large, unblinking darkness hovering just above a blast of glowing, blinding whiteness, and your ears managed to make out a sound, at first seeming to come from far away, then closer and closer, louder and louder, until you know it right next to your only uncovered ear?  No doubt terrified, you whip the covers over your face, but the sound continues, now deafening.  Slowly you inch the covers from your face, just enough to focus on whatever horror this might be invading the sanctity of your bedroom.  The whiteness first, then the hovering blackness begin to take shape.  Could it be?  Yes.  Eyes, staring back at you, never blinking, always staring, staring.  And just below them the glaring whiteness takes form as teeth, lined up neatly like two rows of infantry ready to attack your face at the slightest provocation.  And as the entire face takes shape you realize that the teeth form a grotesque grin.  And surrounding these two most prominent of characteristics is a mass of … what is that?  It’s like clouds, only … dirty.  And the sound.  Oh, the sound that never goes away, only getting louder and louder.  And finally as your sleepy brain begins to function more effectively, you make out that sound.  It seems to be a garbled squawk of sorts.  No, not a squawk so much as … a … baa.  That’s it.  Baa.  Over and over again.  Baa.  Baa.  And then it hits you.  This horrific creature standing over you is a huge, monstrous, grinning … sheep. 

Whew.  I know that would be quite the nightmare for me.  How about you?  Thank you, Micah, for providing the imagery for something that is sure to be seared into my memory for years to come. 

Psalms 56:3-4 says, “When I am afraid, I will trust in you.  In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid.”

Father, thank you for being greater than anything even Micah can imagine.  Help me to trust you when I feel afraid.  Amen.

No comments: