Wednesday, February 11, 2015

February 11 – “A fire truck in the driveway”

We had a little excitement in our neighborhood last night.  Ended up with a ladder truck from the fire department parked in front of my house.  Now last night I thought about just posting about the truck and seeing what kind of response I could get.  But there is a bit of a story that goes along with it.

We had just finished eating some supper and I was sitting down at my desk to finish up some work I had started, when the alarm on my phone went off indicating a fire department call.  I casually glanced at it as I usually do, just to gratify the inevitable curiosity that accompanies the beeping.  And to my surprise the address listed was the corner of Sycamore and Cypress.  That’s right at the corner of my street, and we are only two houses away.  Needless to say, I switched over to the detail page right away to see if my house was on fire or not.  The call was for a strong smell of natural gas. 

Well, we have had an ongoing problem with a slight odor of gas for some time now.  One neighbor in particular has called the gas company numerous times and has been assured that there is no leak.  Nevertheless, the smell is there, and this time the call came from a different neighbor who smelled it from her car as she turned the corner.  Engine four responded, so I went outside to greet the guys when they arrived. 

They definitely agreed that the smell was there.  At least we were “officially” vindicated.  We weren’t crazy.  At least not on that count.  They called for the gas company to come out, and the wait began.  This call was one of those examples of the sacrifices that the fire fighters make every day.  They had just sat down to eat some supper when the call came through, so they left it on the table and headed out.  And after their initial inspections of nearby homes, they joined the neighbors in the waiting game.  The only difference was, we had all eaten.  I offered to make them a corn dog or two, but they politely refused.  My cooking does not sound nearly as appetizing as what was no doubt waiting for them back at the station.  I did enjoy getting to know a few of the guys a little better.  Got to meet Sean, one of the newest of the rookies, too.  He sounded really excited to be on the job.  I imagine this call was a little more boring than the ones he dreamed of back in the academy.  Hang in there, Sean.  The life of a fire fighter is not always non-stop excitement and adrenaline rush. Your day will come.

The wait dragged on and on.  The battalion chief came out to see what the holdup was.  Finally Ladder Four was dispatched to relieve the guys on the engine so they could get something to eat.  They pulled up and parked right in front of our house.  The new guys did their walk-through so they would be personally familiar with the situation.  And finally the gas company representative did shop up.  He grabbed his hole puncher and his gas detector and got to work.  And after punching only three holes in the street, that machine of his went crazy, like one of those radioactivity detectors.  Found a leak.  And just about that time the neighbors who had been calling the gas company for weeks arrived home.  Let’s just say, they had a few things to say about the situation.  The gas guy was kind of intimidated, but he was already on the phone with his supervisor to order a crew out for the next day.  Problem came when he hung up and told us that he had just been told “It wasn’t really a leak.  There is just residual smell left on the pipe itself.”  Uh.  What?  The verbal neighbor responded, just loud enough for me to hear, “Aaand, that sounds like a crock answer to me.”  By the look on his face, the rep inwardly agreed, but of course could say nothing.  I just commented, “At least they are sending out a crew tomorrow.”  That kind of defused the situation.  The fire crew was dismissed, and I for one came on home.  It was getting cold.

Psalms 32:8 says, “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.”

Father, thank you for the assurance that you are there watching over those guys who are trained to watch over us.  Amen.

No comments: