Friday, February 20, 2015

February 20 – “Dead battery syndrome”

Nathan experienced a bit of a revelation the other day.  It had to do with the truck he just received from one of his buddies.  Seems that in some of these antique vehicles you see on the road, you actually have to turn off the lights manually when you get out of the vehicle.  Imagine that.  And if you treat it like its 21st century counterparts, expecting the auto-censor to read that the engine is off and thus automatically turn off all lights in the vehicle, you will face a consequence in the morning known affectionately as “dead battery syndrome.” 

Oh, many of us have experienced the malady.  I sure have.  Many times.  It’s the reason I have a pair of jumper cables in the first place.  Nothing quite like being stuck in a public place with a dead battery and no one who lives nearby to call for help.  And you sure don’t want to call an auto club just for a jump.  That’ll make you feel silly.  But enough about me.  Nathan’s battery was dead as a doornail (Whatever that means.  Have you ever wondered what that means?  I’ll have to look that one up).  He called, and being as he is now less than a minute or two away, I jumped in the truck and headed on over. 

As I pulled up he was outside with hood up, waiting for my arrival.  And as I opened the door he queried, “You didn’t happen to bring jumper cables, did you?”  Uh oh.  Now I know I mentioned earlier that I have a pair.  Problem was, I keep them in the garage at home.  Not a problem to run back to the house and get them.  But the time was now ticking closer and closer to 7:30 a.m.  Why is that significant?  Because Cailyn also greeted me when I arrived.  And it was a school day.  So we all piled into our truck and made a quick detour over to her school.  Oh, and it was also water therapy day, so I texted Chris and told her my attendance was looking bleaker by the minute.  She decided to join me in my truancy.  What a gal, right? 

A cup of coffee and some family conversation later, we had the cables and headed on to business.  The jump was no problem, and as I drove off Nathan was running back into the house for something.  I got back home and dutifully returned the cables to their spot in the garage.  I poured myself another cup of coffee (it was kind of chilly outside), and eased back at my desk, now prepared to meet the day.  And my phone rang.  It was Nathan.  The battery was dead again.  Could I come back for another intervention?  So back I went, cables in hand.  This time he let it idle for quite some time before waving me on.  He jumped in and headed off to Home Depot to start his day.  Oh, did I mention?  My jumper cables are now in his new truck.  Just in case.

Psalms 145:18 says, “The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.”

Father, thank you for proximity of assistance, whether I need or can offer it.  Kind of like know you are always right there when we need you.  Amen.

No comments: