Sunday, February 15, 2015

February 15 – “Who’s your Valentine? A Treatise in Two Parts”

PART TWO

Well, without divulging too many trade secrets, I will continue.  Whatever they did in their own most special of moments, all three of our boys managed to get the question out and all three of them received the answer they were hoping for.  And apparently, each of their girls managed to submerge their feelings of “It’s about time” and responded with happiness and I hope at least a hug.  I don’t know.  I wasn’t there. 

So now I had not just my wife and my Mom, but also three other women in my life.  Three beautiful young ladies who made the ultimate overture possible toward my sons … they didn’t reject them.  They didn’t break their hearts (at least not completely or too many times.  Hey, I know about a guy’s heart.  It is incredibly fragile, but he’ll never let on).  They accepted them.  They loved them.  For all that, I am eternally grateful to my daughters.  Sorry, I don’t even know how to do the daughter thing, much less daughter-in-law, so I’m all in with them.  They are family.  Valentines number three, four and five have officially taken up residence in my heart.

Oh, but the story does not stop there.  These girls teamed up with my boys and together they produced that most marvelous of marvels … grandchildren.  A boy.  Another boy.  Another boy.  OK.  There’s three.  I know what to do with three boys.  I grew up with two brothers.  I raised these three sons.  Boys are good.  Another boy.  Hey, the more the merrier, right?  Bring him on.  That’s what Vaughan’s do, right?  Have some sons.  And then the unthinkable happened.  What?  A girl?  Wait.  This changes everything.  A sixth Valentine.  A baby girl.  I … I … I am speechless.  She is beautiful.  I have no idea how to do this.  Will she break when I hold her?  So when does all the drama kick in that I have heard about?  Very confusing time.  But then … another boy.  Phew.  Are we back into the routine now?  Another pregnancy.  And … another girl.  Not as high a degree of stress as before, but just as much Valentine-ish mush in my head and heart.  And finally (at least for now) one more birth.  And one more boy.  My head still spins when I think about this whole grandparenting thing.  How in the world God can create eight entirely different, entirely perfect (Like I said, I’m a grandparent), tiny little human beings is totally beyond me. 

But this is a Valentine’s Day story, right?  My tally of Valentines now stands at seven.  Mom is gone physically but she’ll always be hanging around in her designated portion of my heart.  Chris holds a huge chunk of real estate in there as well.  Christina and Christi and April all have staked a claim, whether they want it or not.  And now there is Cailyn.  She the one who just the other day needed some help with a necklace.  Nana couldn’t get the clasp open for some reason, so Cailyn confidently advised her, “I’ll get DadDad to open it.  He can do it because he is 61.”  Necklace intervention.  Apparently a task for which I have been grooming for 61 years.  I have arrived.  And the newest Valentine to storm her way into my heart?  That would be Noa.  She’s the one who quietly walks up to me as I sit at my computer, patiently waiting until I acknowledge her presence (how does a one-year-old do that, anyway?).  And when I do say my patented, “Hello,” she responds by pointing to the painting on my wall, the one of the old man with gnarled fingers praying at a table, and she says, “DadDad.  It’s DadDad.”  Now come on.  Who doesn’t want his granddaughter to remember him as the old dude who was praying?  And when she finally has my attention, and wants some one-on-one DadDad time, she flashes that little grin of hers, grabs her own belly, and says, “Get you me.”  That, of course, is one-year-old code for “Come tickle me.”  The dictionary definition of “Irresistible” as far as I’m concerned.

So … Who’s your Valentine?  As far as this old coot is concerned, I have seven … count ‘em … seven of the sweetest gifts from God I could ever have hoped for.  So here goes … Mom … Chris … Christina … Christi … April … Cailyn … Noa … If you have enough room, Will you be my Valentines? 

1 John 4:7-8 says, “Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.”

Father, thank you for each one of the special young ladies you have placed in my heart.  Watch over them.  Protect their hearts.  Let them know they are greatly loved by you … and me.  Amen.

No comments: