Monday, October 31, 2011

October 31 – “Halloween rewards”

 
 
Some good friends from long ago – long, long ago – back when we lived in Arlington long ago – recently decided to buy a house in Galveston.  They wanted to have a place to go when they retired in a few years.  They also wanted a place that they could rent out in the meantime.  Seems that they found just what they were looking for.  They came to church yesterday before they headed back to Arlington.  They said they really liked the worship, and they wished they could just stay on now.  Sound to me like they got some sand between their toes.  That means they'll have the itch to get back down here from now on.  Well, come on down, Mike and Celia.
 
Preparations are well under way for our Halloween party tonight.  208 New Testaments are here and ready to be given away.  Don't have to order the pizzas until closer to 4:30 or 5.  Actually the only preparations left are house cleaning kinds of things.  Looks fine to me, but I'm sure Chris will find plenty that doesn't quite meet her approval when she wakes up.  I do still have to decide if I'm going to wear my Superman shirt and cape.  Or maybe figure out a way to dress as an otter.  Now that would surprise a few people.  Of course the Seaside people would probably think I was a goat.  Oh, I also have to decide what costume will be the big winner for the evening.  I love rewarding creativity.  Fire fighters still get special consideration no matter what other winners may come up.  Last year I went with the alphabet idea and started at the beginning.  Any costume that began with the letter A would get special treatment – extra candy, high fives, bells, whistles, cheers, touchdown dance - that sort of thing.  Only had one winner – an Avatar movie character.  Do I move on through to letter B, or skip to something more difficult, like Q or Z?  Hmm.  Q.  Queen.  Quaker.  Quarter horse.  Quantum physicist.  Quarterback.  Question mark.  Quintuplets.  That would be a tough one.  Z.  Zebra.  Zealot.  Zero.  Zeus.  Zucchini.  Zombie.  Oops.  Too easy.  I thought I had a winner there for a minute.  Oh, well.  I still have another ten or twelve hours to decide.
 
Proverbs 30:18-19 says, "There are three things that are too amazing for me, four that I do not understand: the way of an eagle in the sky, the way of a snake on a rock, the way of a ship on the high seas, and the way of a man with a maiden."
 
Father, make safe the paths of the children who will be walking around this evening.  Amen.

No comments: