Tuesday, October 25, 2011

October 25 –“A backwards thinking song”

 
 
Once again we had a great time of worship Sunday.  The praise team was fabulous.  Thanks again to Jim Stone for sharing his mandolin skills with us.  Anybody out there is Seaside Land know how to play the drums?  We have a great set of electric drums just aching to be part of the Sunday morning experience. 
 
I particularly enjoyed Jimmy's introduction to the song "I'll Fly Away."  He's what, sixteen, seventeen years old - a new generation exposed to the old hymns of the faith.  After briefly grasping for words, Jimmy said, "This is kind of a backwards thinking song.  It's not what you would normally expect.  It's … a happy song about dying."  Perfect explanation, Jimmy!  And why not?  Christians have a lot to be happy about when it comes to dying!
 
After worship Chris and I went with a few of the couples in church to lunch at the Sunflower Café.  Now that was some pretty good food.  I had some fried shrimp and a crabcake.  Great batter.  Then we went over to the Grand Theater for a matinee show.  A lady and her husband were performing with their fiddles.  They were backed up by two pianists.  I sure didn't know what to expect from some violin, er, fiddle concert.  I am not the concert of any type kind of guy.  I never even got much into concerts back when I was in high school (1969-1971).  And that was when rock concerts were the thing to do.   Of course I was quite the wimp back then, and rock concerts were also the place to go for all kinds of "extra-curricular" drug activities.  Hey.  I embrace my wimpdom.  It kept me away from all kinds of potential trouble. 
 
Back to the fiddlers.  They made a big deal about which part of Canada they were from.  Apparently the style of fiddling they were exposed to growing up made a difference in how they play now.  It took a while, but after two hours of listening (and only two short naps), I think I could tell a difference.  He was more aggressive and deliberate with his movements.  He said he learned to play by ear.  She was constantly dancing.  Even when she was sitting down, her feet never stopped moving.  And her music seemed to be dancing as well.  They did play something that sounded remotely classical at one point.  The difference was glaring.  I heard this thought at the concert: "A violinist plays the music.  A fiddler plays the crowd."  That describes it perfectly.  Our violin guy at church has tried to explain that to me before.  He is learning to fiddle.  I think I see it now, Corey. 
 
Proverbs 29:22 says, "An angry man stirs up dissension, and a hot-tempered one commits many sins."
 
Father, thank you for the many different styles of music you have made available to worship you.  Amen.

No comments: