Wednesday, October 12, 2011

October 12 – “The two dreaded phrases”

 
 
Yesterday we were once again blessed with the opportunity to drive to Houston for an appointment with my neurologist.  Not for anything in particular, though.  It was time for a follow-up visit after I went a few weeks ago.  The result of that visit was some physical therapy to try to build up my "core strength" (read here, muscles around my waist) and my neck muscles. 
 
I did the physical therapy for several weeks, but stopped going when I saw they weren't showing me any new exercises.  I was doing more at home on my off days than I ever did on days there.  And at home I wasn't having to pay eighteen dollars for the privilege of lying down on a heating pad for twenty minutes.  I don't begrudge the fact that it felt good.  I just couldn't reconcile all the extra charges.
 
Of course the neurologist knew right away what was most likely happening.  He wanted to know if I was really doing the exercises at home now that I wasn't going to therapy.  Ouch.  Busted.  I do them at best occasionally now, but that meant I really need to get back at it.  He was especially concerned that I continue the neck exercises, since that was where my biggest problem has been.  At least they are the easiest to do.  Isometric pushing against my hand to the side and front.  Chris says I look goofy doing it, but it did seem to help, so back to that grind.  And he said I would probably be helped by a water exercise class.  What fun.  Guess that makes me officially old.
 
Which reminds me.  He used those two dreaded phrases.  Both of them.  He waited until he was backing out of the room, but he managed to work both of them in.  "For the rest of your life."  That one meant it's never really going to get better, so figure out how to live with it.  "As you get older."  There it was.  That's the one that puts the icing on the cake.  I am officially an old guy.  WooHoo.
 
Proverbs 28:21 says, "To show partiality is not good — yet a man will do wrong for a piece of bread."
 
Father, I know I can handle the "rest of my life" as long as I can stay close to you "as I get older."  Amen.

No comments: