Saturday, October 29, 2011

"I don't know. Something."

 
We made our quick trip to San Antonio yesterday.  Finally.  After two tries over the last month we were able to get everything to fall into place.  Mom seemed to be doing OK.  April and Nathan assured us they would take care of her.  I got the two teachings together for Sunday.  And an agenda for the discernment meeting.  We're just about ready for the Halloween party Monday night.  The New Testaments have arrived and are awaiting distribution.  The car was gassed up.  Chris wouldn't let me text Josh to let them know we were on the road until we pulled onto Interstate 10, though.  Anything before that would be close enough to turn around and head home. 
 
Caleb was waiting at the window when we arrived.  It's always good to feel like someone was expecting us.  Happily.  Apparently Caleb had been "happy" all morning.  They went to IHOP for their kids eat free breakfast.  At one point Caleb started literally jumping up and down on his chair, declaring, "I'm happy.  I'm happy."  How can you argue with that?  And how can you discipline it?  "No, kid.  No one is allowed to be happy at IHOP when the pancakes are free.  Wait.  Free?  Move over, Caleb.  I'm gonna jump on my chair, too." 
 
Christi told us that the other day Caleb was doing his best not to participate in the required afternoon rest time.  Zakary, by the way, was quite helpful when it came to rest time yesterday afternoon.  He offered to read to him.  He got one of the huge pillows off of the couch to make him more comfortable.  He certainly came across as the concerned big brother.  Chris was definitely impressed.  What she didn't know was what he had confided in me earlier with a furtive whisper.  Seems that when Caleb is asleep, Zak is allowed to watch a movie that Caleb is not yet allowed to watch, "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe."  He even invited me to watch it with him if he could get Caleb to fall asleep.  Sneaky ulterior motive.
 
But back to Christi's Caleb story.  She said he had been in his room for a while when he reappeared.  The subsequent interchange went something like this:
Christi: "Yes, Caleb?"
Caleb: "I need something." 
Christi: "What do you need, Caleb?" 
Caleb: "I don't know.  Something."
 
You know what, Caleb?  I know the feeling.
                                                           
Proverbs 30:5 says, "Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him."
 
Father, help me to remember often that I can trust my "I don't know.  Something's" to your infinite wisdom.  Amen.  

No comments: