Thursday, October 27, 2011

October 26 – “Backyardigans”

 
 
Last week when we babysat for Kel and Christina, we were introduced to what I suppose is one of the hottest new experiences in children's television programming.  Well, I really don't know how hot it is.  We saw it on their Netflix account.  And it was Josiah who insisted we watch it.  He's not even two years old.  They still count his age in months – 15, 16 – something like that.  But he saw the TV come on and immediately wanted to watch "Pablo."  Very clear in his request.  And very insistent.  "Pablo."  Over and over again.  He wasn't crying or even whining.  Just, "Pablo."  We finally asked Jachin what he was talking about.  Appearing somewhat exasperated, yet proud to know something his DadDad didn't, Jachin agreed to translate.  He informed us that Josiah wanted to watch his favorite show. 
 
OK.  This was like pulling teeth.  "So, what is his favorite show?" we had to ask.  This time we got an audible sigh.  It was quite obvious that Jachin knew what would happen if he spilled the beans.  Invariably he would have to let Josiah watch whatever Pablo was, and his option would be moved down a notch on the list.  Not an attractive situation for a strong-willed first-born.  He finally succumbed to the pressure and agreed to show us.  Deftly maneuvering the Netflix arrow, he raced through the options so quickly there was no way they could be duplicated.  Part of his master plan to maintain absolute control over the device, no doubt. 
 
And finally we arrived.  To my horror, it was as I had feared … animation.  It was some kind of cartoon show, and from Josiah's ecstatic reaction, it was the correct one.  "Pablo.  Pablo."  I still couldn't figure out the actual name of the show, so I finally ventured a question of Micah, who had yet to chime in with his thoughts.  "What's the name of this show?" I whispered.  Excited to have been recognized, Micah jumped to life.  His eyes lit up.  He leaned toward me with a conspiratorial grin.  I leaned in, prepared for the whispered answer.  And it came, though not in a whisper.  Instead he screamed, "It's Backyardigans." 
 
After I recovered some of the hearing in my left ear (thankfully, my hearing aid shuts down when such explosive noises accost my senses), I was able to pick up the gist of the episode.  Pablo was a penguin.  He was friends with three or four other animals, one of the females appeared to be a hippopotamus.  I wasn't sure about the others.  They acted out a scene from old California that had something to do with checking out books from the library and not returning them.  Evil stuff.  It all worked out in the end, though.  The bad guy just wasn't aware that he could recheck the book that he hadn't finished.  Best part?  I stayed awake almost the whole way through.
 
Proverbs 29:25 says "Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe."
 
Father, grant that safety to our grandkids.  Help them grow to trust you.  Amen.

No comments: