Friday, October 21, 2011

October 21 – “Sorry, dude”

 
 
The flashlight lesson went pretty well.  I had them turn out the lights so we could do the lesson in the dark.  When the lights went out, after playing it up really big, I clicked on the flashlight and nothing happened.  I had forgotten to put in the batteries.  That led to a discussion about batteries being needed inside the flashlight for it to do what it was designed to do.  Fit well with the idea of people needing Jesus in their lives to have the power to do what we were created to do.  The interesting thing about this particular session was this: the other two times there were absolutely no distractions.  This time, when I was talking about the most important spiritual decision a person can make, one of the mom's showed up to talk to her son just as we started the prayer time.  Felt like somebody didn't want those little guys to hear the gospel.  Sorry, dude.  You already lost that war.
 
I had a breakfast meeting with a good friend after the Bible class.  He's a pastor too.  We have been getting together about once a month for a few months now. It's good to have someone to open up with and not worry about hidden agendas or too high expectations.  It's certainly a plus that he has similar struggles, so we can relate to each other. 
 
After breakfast I went over to the local pumpkin patch at the big Methodist church.  Our kids from Seaside Christian Academy were there on a field trip.  I missed the actual pumpkin patch part, but I got to hang out with them over in the playground next door.  They were killing time until their reservations for lunch came up at Salsa's.  I'm wondering how that experience played out.  Sure hope they remembered their lesson on eating out etiquette. 
 
Heading over to WalMart this morning to get some of the pictures printed that I took at the playground and when the guest speaker came on Tuesday.  They are making a scrapbook of the year and wanted some more entries. 
 
John 16:33 says, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
 
Father, thank you for letting us know you have already won the war.  It makes dealing with setbacks a lot easier.  Amen.

No comments: